Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Hi All,

I am new to the list and I am the lucky owner of two Featherweights. Yes, I use them both and they both sew the best straight seam ever.

I have a wonderful story about #1 Featherweight. After WWII my Mom was expecting me. My parents lived in Washington DC, my maternal Grandmother in Indiana. At that time, if you wanted to purchase goods that were not being made during the war (cars, machines etc.) you had to put your name on a list. My Mom and Grandmother both put their names on the list for a sewing machine for Mom. Grandma's name came up first. She purchased the Featherweight (I don't know if they had a choice) and quickly boarded the train to Washington DC to bring my Mom the sewing machine. Since my Dad was still in the military, the machine traveled with us every place we went including Germany and France.

While on vacation in Switzerland, we visited a sewing store and Mom fell in love with an Elna that did many zig zag stitches. Dad told her he didn't have enough money left to buy it, but I spied the American Express office across the street. The new Elna was purchased and when it was time to come on board ship the new Elna came as part of our carry-on baggage. The poor little Featherweight had to come home with our household goods.

When I was old enough to learn to sew, Mom let me have the Featherweight. After 18 years of sewing clothing on another domestic machine, I found the Featherweight to be the best machine to piece quilts on.

Pam T
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by a1crafter
Is there a site for a 301 free manual? I would really appreciate the address. Thanks.
try this site
http://www.static.onecreativeblog.co...301-manual.pdf
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by cheri stonespinner
Originally Posted by lovequilts
I have one that I got over 30 years ago for $40.00. I used it for years then it sat in the closet. I recently got it out and forgot the love I have for that machine. I took a class on how to clean and lube/oil your machine. Here is a great web site for informaion, parts and accessories. I took the class from Dave. www.featherweightrx.com
Thanks for the site. If I ever get a featherweight I'll look it up. :thumbup:
I just bought "Gracie" 5/28/11 from a thrift shop. She was back in the intake room. I almost left the shop after making my purchase then I thought I should use the bathroom before resuming my trip. When exiting 'br' I went the wrong way and saw "Gracie" tucked back in a corner with a price tag on her. I got a bobbin case for her but she either needs a new belt or I have to learn how to tighten the one she has on.
I have not used her yet. My residents will squeel when I bring her in to quilt with.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by pamt
Hi All,

I am new to the list and I am the lucky owner of two Featherweights. Yes, I use them both and they both sew the best straight seam ever.

I have a wonderful story about #1 Featherweight. After WWII my Mom was expecting me. My parents lived in Washington DC, my maternal Grandmother in Indiana. At that time, if you wanted to purchase goods that were not being made during the war (cars, machines etc.) you had to put your name on a list. My Mom and Grandmother both put their names on the list for a sewing machine for Mom. Grandma's name came up first. She purchased the Featherweight (I don't know if they had a choice) and quickly boarded the train to Washington DC to bring my Mom the sewing machine. Since my Dad was still in the military, the machine traveled with us every place we went including Germany and France.

While on vacation in Switzerland, we visited a sewing store and Mom fell in love with an Elna that did many zig zag stitches. Dad told her he didn't have enough money left to buy it, but I spied the American Express office across the street. The new Elna was purchased and when it was time to come on board ship the new Elna came as part of our carry-on baggage. The poor little Featherweight had to come home with our household goods.

When I was old enough to learn to sew, Mom let me have the Featherweight. After 18 years of sewing clothing on another domestic machine, I found the Featherweight to be the best machine to piece quilts on.

Pam T
Great story. I love to hear stories about how people get their FW's and other machines. Welcome to the QB.

:)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM

How did I miss this post when it was new? I posted a pic of my new FW a couple of weeks ago. She was given to me by my daughter's Special Ed teacher. I have now had a chance to play with the machine and she sews like a charm. Just needed to adjust the tension a little. The machine was in perfect condition and not even dusty - she said it had been in a closet for years so she must have dusted it off before I got it. I never knew I wanted one until I began reading everybody else's posts and I got machine envy. Then I was just as bad as one of my kids - everybody else has one so I want one too! Now that I've got one, I understand why everybody loves them - they sew great and they're so darn cute!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I just called about my FW. I am really bummed. I took it in 4 weeks ago. It was supposed to be done by June 6. Called today and - no he hasn't gotten to it yet. I know from talking to them last week that its in pretty good shape - just needs a belt. I am really disappointed, my DD is going to have a c-section on Wed and I had hoped to have it home and play around with it a little before then. Now I just hope I'll even have time to pick it up. Have I said how bummed I am? I just bought a new belt and plug for the 99 I bought on CL, I'm wishing now that I had tried to clean up the FW up myself.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just called about my FW. I am really bummed. I took it in 4 weeks ago. It was supposed to be done by June 6. Called today and - no he hasn't gotten to it yet.

I'm wishing now that I had tried to clean up the FW up myself.
Go get her and bring her home :-D . Anything that needs to be done can be done by you....even putting on a new belt! That happened to me, a couple of years ago....brought 2 machines into the shop for tune-ups and all they could tell me, after 6 weeks, was that my machines were "in line"....WHAT!!!! I went out and got them the same day and will never go there again. Long story short, now I have vintage machines that I can work on myself. I highly recommend Dave McCallum's book, "The Featherweight 221 and I" for all 221 and 301 owners. It's a wonderful book and the price is lower than a trip to the sewing machine repairman would be.

Last night, I won a 1964 white/green FW, on eBay!! I've always wanted one and now I have one. Can't wait to get it! I already have 2 black FW's and this little greenish one will look so cute next to the blacks.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just called about my FW. I am really bummed. I took it in 4 weeks ago. It was supposed to be done by June 6. Called today and - no he hasn't gotten to it yet.

I'm wishing now that I had tried to clean up the FW up myself.
Go get her and bring her home :-D . Anything that needs to be done can be done by you....even putting on a new belt! That happened to me, a couple of years ago....brought 2 machines into the shop for tune-ups and all they could tell me, after 6 weeks, was that my machines were "in line"....WHAT!!!! I went out and got them the same day and will never go there again. Long story short, now I have vintage machines that I can work on myself. I highly recommend Dave McCallum's book, "The Featherweight 221 and I" for all 221 and 301 owners. It's a wonderful book and the price is lower than a trip to the sewing machine repairman would be.

Last night, I won a 1964 white/green FW, on eBay!! I've always wanted one and now I have one. Can't wait to get it! I already have 2 black FW's and this little greenish one will look so cute next to the blacks.
My DD had her baby today -( a real cutie by the way!) and I got the belt and cord for the 99. Slapped the belt and cord on the machine on my cleaned up machine and it runs fantastic! If I wasn't busy with my DD and new DGD I'd be grabbing it back. I did call after I got the 99 up and running - they promised Monday by the latest. Since I will be busy until then and can't look at it, I'm leaving it. But - never again! I'm getting Dave's book and doing any and all future service myself! They told me last week all it needed was a belt! (And a tune up!) Never again!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Add me to the list. I have a '50 Featherweight, and just purchased the table. It is missing one part, goign to have to have it made I think.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 AM

Where can I purchase Dave McCallum's book "My Featherweight and I"?