Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, I did in High School. Started with an Apron. Class project was a wedding dress that I intended to wear some day. AND I did. I got married half way through my senior year and the dress fit, just had to add secquins/pearls and some lace, oh and made the train out of matching lace. Been sewing ever since, now mostly quilt!
Sharon
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I learned to sew as a teenager, but not through school. Mom signed me up for sewing classes at the local Joann's. She says it's the best money for lessons she's ever spent. I sewed alot of clothes for myself and some for my sister. When I got married, I sewed curtains, placemats, etc for myself and as gifts (money was tight as newlyweds). After a few years, I got into quilting and love it. I still make some clothes for my daughter, curtains and tops for myself, but not as often.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM

I learned to sew with my mother & grandmother. I started in Elementary school made my own clothes from 6th grade until I finished high school.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Landers
I learned to sew with my mother & grandmother. I started in Elementary school made my own clothes from 6th grade until I finished high school.
Love your avatar! You have great form riding!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Yes, I learned in HS. And have used it over the years (many, many years)!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 AM

Yes.Took home ec. in all four high school yrs. Loved it and really loved sewing,that was my fav. part. That was in the 6o,s. I am thankful for all I learned and have put it to great use as we raised our three children. It is just my husband and myself I sew for now and once in a while for the grandkids. Our two girls learned to sew too and so their own family sewing. Now I enjoy quilting more with my machine than making clothes for myself. Graduate of hs in 65. The good ole days! Jan
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM

I was in 4-H before I ever made it to high school age, and by that time, the teacher of the home ec class told me not to bother (her daughters were in 4-H too)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

My 5th grade teacher introduced me to sewing (I wouldn't listen to Mom) and loved it. Then Mom took over and taught me how to continue the love of sewing, knitting and crocheting:-) Continued to learn more in Home Ec and have loved it since.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Three years of "home ec." in high school. Required of all girls. We sewed on treadle Singers and had a fashion show for our moms.

But the fourth year I opted out and took boy's "shop" instead. Fixed carburators, flat tires, etc. That was back in the days when boys took Chemistry and Physics, and girls took Shorthand and Typing. I took all four. Chemistry and Physics were invaluable. Shorthand useless. Typing is sometimes reduced to a couple of fingers on the iPhone or iPad!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM

My mother tried to teach me, school tried to teach me (when the teacher wasn't holding up my efforts for the class to laugh at). I had to make an apron for the cookery class, then a dress. Total disaster, lots of tears and I had nothing more to do with sewing for the next 40 years or so. Mum had bought me a sewing box for my 7th birthday - I still have it and until recently I swear some of the original contents were still in it! The change came at the grand old age of 49 when a dear friend challenged my "I'm useless at sewing" and very patiently helped me overcome my fear (for fear it was by then) and inhibitions and taught me how to quilt. Every time I finish one, I'm still astonished that I've produced it!