Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by Pies mom
I learned to sew in Jr. High.....now they call it middle school. I made most of my clothes through out high school and did alterations for college classmates and dorm mates....gave me the extra spending money. Of course that was when the hem lines were going up! It seems to me that sewing and cooking classes aren't offered much any more in schools. I signed up for my first quilting class about 15 years ago and couldn't wait for the class to start so I had my friend help me do a log cabin Christmas tree wall hanging.
They do still teach home economics, but they call it all sorts of other things. And there are lots of boys in it, just as there are some girls in Voc Ag classes. It all depends on whether your school district is considered to be in an urban or rural area.

One of the big mistakes the politicians who are using education as a football made years ago was to curtail vocational educational courses in the mistaken belief that everyone should go to college. If everyone gets a college degree, they will be about as valuable as a high school diploma is now and you will have to have one to work at a car wash.

While I'm on my soap box, lots of people who are craftsmen--plumbers, electricians, computer repair people, etc.--command as much or more money in the market place than people with degrees. Probably the largest group of people in the country who have both bachelor's and master's degrees are teachers and they are not exactly getting rich on what they get paid.

If your child wants to become a diesel mechanic or go in auto body repair, think about encouraging him or her. froggyintexas
Hooray!! My sentiments exactly. My DH has a Ph.D. and we get into fights about this. Neither DD went to college and he is NOT happy! He has Ph.D. friends that drive taxi cabs.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM

My oldest son went into some computer field, at a vocational school. While there, he got to play golf with his home school team, and since the voc school was right next to the community college, he went there too and graduated from high school with over 30 college credits.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
My mother tried to teach me, school tried to teach me (when the teacher wasn't holding up my efforts for the class to laugh at). I had to make an apron for the cookery class, then a dress. Total disaster, lots of tears and I had nothing more to do with sewing for the next 40 years or so. Mum had bought me a sewing box for my 7th birthday - I still have it and until recently I swear some of the original contents were still in it! The change came at the grand old age of 49 when a dear friend challenged my "I'm useless at sewing" and very patiently helped me overcome my fear (for fear it was by then) and inhibitions and taught me how to quilt. Every time I finish one, I'm still astonished that I've produced it!
Your teacher was an example - imo - of someone who should not have been in teaching. If she had quietly taken the time to explain to you and show you what you needed to do would have been different...but to hold a project up for the class to laugh at...NO! Thank goodness for your friend and her patience! Not only is she your friend, but a teacher with a capital 'T'!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM

I had a teacher in the 7th grade that would not call me by the name I go by (too many Julies in the class my name is not Julie, it is Julia) so when I made my suspender jumper , I learned more from my mother at home working on it. The teacher would not help me with anything until I answered her when she called me by a name that is not mine.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jojo47
My mother tried to teach me, school tried to teach me (when the teacher wasn't holding up my efforts for the class to laugh at). I had to make an apron for the cookery class, then a dress. Total disaster, lots of tears and I had nothing more to do with sewing for the next 40 years or so. Mum had bought me a sewing box for my 7th birthday - I still have it and until recently I swear some of the original contents were still in it! The change came at the grand old age of 49 when a dear friend challenged my "I'm useless at sewing" and very patiently helped me overcome my fear (for fear it was by then) and inhibitions and taught me how to quilt. Every time I finish one, I'm still astonished that I've produced it!
Your teacher was an example - imo - of someone who should not have been in teaching. If she had quietly taken the time to explain to you and show you what you needed to do would have been different...but to hold a project up for the class to laugh at...NO! Thank goodness for your friend and her patience! Not only is she your friend, but a teacher with a capital 'T'!
Absolutely. I have to hope that 1950s teaching methods are firmly in the past. I had the same done to me, believe it or not, with art and singing as well, with the result that for the next 40 years I labelled myself totally uncreative, and am still breaking down all the blocks that were put up. I'm deeply grateful to the friend who had the patience and wisdom to guide my first nervous efforts at quilting - she opened many doors for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
Absolutely. I have to hope that 1950s teaching methods are firmly in the past. I had the same done to me, believe it or not, with art and singing as well, with the result that for the next 40 years I labelled myself totally uncreative, and am still breaking down all the blocks that were put up. I'm deeply grateful to the friend who had the patience and wisdom to guide my first nervous efforts at quilting - she opened many doors for me.
Awesome! Just goes to show we all have hidden talents...We just need friends like yours to unlock them! Good for you in your openness to discover your creativity!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Yes I took Home Economics in junior high and high school. My teacher who taught us in high school is over 90 years old and still looks the same as when she was teaching. No kidding! She wears her hair in a turned under short bob. I've called her and she has no medical problems. I liked Home Ec. It taught me sewing and cooking skills. We had a club called Future Homemakers and occasionally went to the big city of Columbus to a convention. What good memories! Nowadays Home Ec is no more. It's called family consumer science curriculum. One of my classmates teaches it. A new high school was built in southeastern Ohio and she showed us her classroom. I don't sew so much now; mainly sew to quilt.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:19 PM

nope. My grandmother taught me to sew when I was around 6 (I'm 28 now) and she taught me to quilt when I was 12 or so, but I didn't seriously start quilting till I was 16. :)
Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM

I took band in middle school to get out of taking Home Ec and then in high school was on the drill/kick line team. Should have taken Home Ec!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM

I learned to sew in junior high, Home Ec. I didn't do a lot with it at the time but started sewing again when my girls were little. Then put it away again until recently but the fun part is that whenever I start sewing again I think of my Home Ec teacher, Miss Youngers, and the things she taught me. She was a great role model for young girls, in addition to her sewing and cooking skills. That's got to be about 50 years ago now, (unbelievable), so she surely made a lasting impression!
BTW, two of my grandsons recently had to take one semester of sewing and cooking in middle school. Just the basics but good info for them. The class has a different name which I can't remember now.