Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Oh yah, high school. Sewed own clothes in high school and when got married, sewed bride's maid dresses. Then on to motherhood, maternity outfits, then for 3 little girls till they were in high school and beyond. Never regret learning to sew. Now for FUN.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Yes, in HS in the early 50's. It's a shame the classes are no longer offered. It was a great learning experience and one I have never forgotten.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Yes I took sewing in home ec, no, I didn`t learn a thing. We had a teacher right out of college. We were nearly all farm kids that could cook & bake & sew (patching mostly) She thought we were pulling a trick on her when we told her there was an Angel food cake & a devil`s food cake. As freshmen were asked to cook a complete menu for the FFA banquet. What a disaster, She told us to drain the meat fat off & pour it down the lavatory, well it backed up into to the banquet room. Need I say more, she was only there 1 year. and that was 1953!
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Yes, I learned in high school Home Ec. We made an apron and a shift like A line jumper dress. And I learned to cook in Home Ec as well. That was a fun class.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by supergma
    I sewed my first dress at age 7. When I got to Home Ec, my teacher hated me. I knew about as much as she did. I really took Home Ec to learn to cook. My mom was very patient about teaching me to sew, but had no time for me when it came to learning to cook. I took shop in high school and enjoyed it much more than Home Ec.
    Oh, she didn't hate you. You were just a challenge to her and she had all of these "non-sewers" on her hand.

My friend and I were in the same boat. Our teacher didn't make us do the simple garments that the others made. But we certainly were a challenge to HER. She was an excellent seamstress, but she wanted our garments to be perfection personified. Once she was so frustrated with me that she took my garment home for her to rip. I had told her Iwas not ripping anymore. That was good enough for me. She gave me a good scolding and brought my suit home to rip the "mistakes." I loved that woman. When I finished college and was about to find a job in my field, she told me,"Always strive to do your best, but do not ruin your life by trying to be a perfectionist like I was."
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

I was 5yrs. old and my grandmother taught me. When I got to high school I was helping the teacher.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 AM

I didn't sew until after I got out of college and found out I had to buy my own clothes. And here I end up with my own alterations business for 35 years. My mother could never believe it since she had to finish my 4-H projects.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Yes in jr high. I didn't have the patience back then so therefore I didn't like it.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Yes in jr high. I didn't have the patience back then so therefore I didn't like it.
    Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM