Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 07-03-2023, 07:49 PM

Decided
There’s no guilt in UFO.. I quilt for my enjoyment. If I’m not enjoying a quilt, maybe it’ll never be finished by me.

OR

A new purpose for that quilt (I’m goal driven) will inspire me to finish.

Quilting is also therapeutic. Sometimes I’ll quilt for the therapy (like today).

BUT Quilting is for me, NOT me for the quilt.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
Decided
There’s no guilt in UFO.. I quilt for my enjoyment. If I’m not enjoying a quilt, maybe it’ll never be finished by me.
OR
A new purpose for that quilt (I’m goal driven) will inspire me to finish.
Quilting is also therapeutic. Sometimes I’ll quilt for the therapy (like today).
BUT Quilting is for me, NOT me for the quilt.
Good for you, Pet! You're absolutely right on so many points there - sometimes the best and healthiest thing is to just say "I'm done" and let it go - perhaps to someone who will feel good about finishing it.

I'm still struggling to finish quilts. I have a bolt of batting now but am not looking forward to having to layer/baste/quilt a number of quilts in a row. For now I'm in the middle of laying out a quilt I have made from a sample pack I bought in a moment of weakness a couple of years ago when my LQS first opened to in-person shopping again. I loved the fabric but with sample packs you get strange amounts of each fabric so finding a pattern that works can be challenging. I like it but will need to add some more blocks to make the quilt a useable size. Perhaps I will try to get this one completely finished to get me back into the swing of things. :-)
Old 07-04-2023, 09:49 AM

I am so glad that I have a quilting friend to give unfinished projects to, that I don't want to put the time into finishing.

I agree, there should be no guilt associated with our quilting. If we are feeling guilty about something, we should give the issue some serious thought and make an adjustment somewhere.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:29 PM

I claim one of my exemptions. Visiting Maine and went to Mardens yesterday. If you know- you know.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:19 AM

Well I ended up buying more of the Missouri Star quilt Co r/w/b quilt block fabric. The fabric manufacturer missed labeled several bolts of 44-45” fabric bolts to 108” fabric bolts. So I either needed to return the wrong fabric (major hassle for me) or keep it and get the correct fabric at a very good price. So I kept it and received the correct yardage. It’s not a big deal. It will just be backing for 2-3 of my future projects. Plus I could make matching pillowcases and use for QOV center panels. Oh the many items to use the fabric for in the future. So I’m the pound owner of 7 yards 44-45” and 9 yards of the backing fabric, 108”.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:18 PM

Oh, my goodness HL. That is a lot of fabric! Sounds like you have plans ready. Fabric in then fabric out!
Old 07-12-2023, 08:20 PM

3 quilts quilted - just need binding - and NO FABRIC PURCHASED. 1- my nephew's graduation, a 3 yard quilt pattern but expanded because I had 1.5 yards so I made extra blocks. 64x70. 2- scrappy Lonestar challenge at Project Linus. Finished 37x37 and 3- had 108 on the longarm for #1...and if I just cut carefully...hey this Lonestar fits on this side of the same backing. Hmmm. Finished quilting that and there is a lot of backing and batting still here. I wonder about a QAYG strips that I saw on the YouTube....hey! That worked! Let me practice my fmq border....

So yeah. 3 quilts on the same backing. 1 gift and 2 project Linus. I feel like a superhero.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:22 AM

Congratulations, Rff1010! Doesn't it feel marvelous to send some finishes out the door! Pictures?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
Congratulations, Rff1010! Doesn't it feel marvelous to send some finishes out the door! Pictures?
Gosh! *blushes* Since you asked so nicely....
Attached Thumbnails 3julyfinishes.jpg  
Old 07-13-2023, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Great quilts, Rff! Love that big blue one. It reminds me of the Lover's Knot pattern, but not quite.

I recently had to buy a new Ikea Billy Bookcase to house my fabrics. The tall one...six shelves with storage on top too. I have been buying fabric online from Leesa's Fabric Fix weekly auctions on Facebook. Great deals but I quickly got overwhelmed with fabric! So I have had a reality check with regards to how much fabric I have. Its way beyond life expectancy! The incentive to stop buying fabric is that I have no more place to store it! The new Billy Bookcase was immediately filled.

Attached Thumbnails img_e3638.jpg