Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

• Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM

lol, Missy! Do a mental grocery list in your head while you're then then show off your gorgeous self at the grocery store picking up ingredients for the cake! ;)
    Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Stop the pitty party. You are so much better off this year than last.

I wanted to tell everyone that prunes and prune juice do really good things for people who are diabetic. My mother has alwasy been anemic, but after a month drinking 6 oz. of prune juice every day, she is now up in the normal range for all woman. Her bouncy, trouncy blood sugars came back on line and she feels better than ever. We also tried the prunes that are called "Ones". These are individually wrapped, pitted prumes. They look nice enough to put into a cancy dish, and they are so sweet and juicy you wont believe your mouth.

One day I had a really high sugar that then plummeted to the 40's. I was a mess. Mom gave me one prune and it stopped the hypoglycemic problem in its tracks. It also made me thursty. So I recommend prunes and prune Juice at least a little bit a day.
    Yes, ma'am! ;) I am a firm believer in prunes after having hem in the cake. I didn't feel any kind of sugar high and when I gave the cake to my daycare kids they weren't hyper at all afterwards. I'm definitely going to start a prune a day habit.
    Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    Ok, here's the cake recipe. I got it from the May 2010 issue of Family Circle.

Rich Chocolate Cake

Makes: 12 servings
    Prep: 20 min Cook: 6 min
    Bake: at 325 degrees for 50 min

1 can (12 oz) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
    3/4 c. sweet pitted prunes
    1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
    2 t. baking powder
    1 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    3 eggs
    1/2 c. 2% milk
    2 t. vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9" springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a medium-size saucepan, heat 1 1/4c. of the apple juice concentrate with the prunes and butter over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and mixture just begins to simmer, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, 3/4 c. cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Carefully transfer apple juice mixture to a blender and mix until prunes are pureed.

4. Beat eggs in a large bowl until blended. With mixer on medium speed, slowly add apple juice mixture. Beat until evenly blended. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture. Stir in vanilla; spread into prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; then remove pan and cool completely.

5. Once cake has cooled, dust top with a little cocoa powder, Slice and serve with berries and ice cream.
    Do you know the calorie count by any chance?????

this sounds yumooooooo the only things I will do different is replace 1/2 the butter with applesauce and use fat free milk. I wish I had the apple juice I would make it today. I have reg apple juice I could simmer it and reduce it to make it concentrated but that would take awhile to do. OH well I will put that on my grocery list along with apples for next week.

Thanks for posting this.
    Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Baked apples - here's a weight watchers recipe that lists each apple as 1 point. So... enjoy!

4 medium apple(s), cored*
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 cup(s) SPLENDAŽ SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
    1/4 cup(s) water
    2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/4 oz fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix, about 2 Tbsp
    3/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a vegetable peeler, peel a 1/2-inch horizontal strip around apples to help release juices during baking. Place apples in a 9 X 9-inch baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger and Splenda. Place 1 tablespoon of cinnamon mixture in cored-out center of each apple; sprinkle remaining cinnamon mixture over apples. Combine water and lemon juice in a cup; pour liquid around apples.

Bake until apples are soft when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and let cool.

Pour pudding mix into a medium bowl; whisk in milk to make a fairly thin sauce. Place one apple on a plate and drizzle with sauce. Yields 1 apple and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.
    Notes
    *Use Granny Smith apples for a tart flavor and Gala for a sweeter flavor.
    Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Originally Posted by SandraD
    My vice is popcorn, about once every two weeks.
    OMG I LOOOVEEEEEE popcorn. Caramel popcorn or butter or plain with nothing not even salt on it. I could eat it by the tub full. Everyone else could have their sugar, cakes and cookies give me my popcorn!!!!!!!!!!! However the plus side is when I checked out the health benefits of popcorn it is the healthiest fiber you could eat because it has the germ and the bran most fibers don't have it all. Also 3 cups of popcorn is equal to 1 serving of whole grain food. Popcorn is healthy for you so you really don't have to limit yourself to once every 2 weeks. This has become my go to snack for the past few weeks.
    But I do have to limit, it's the amount of butter I put on it!
    Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM
    Banned

My vice is popcorn, about once every two weeks.
    OMG I LOOOVEEEEEE popcorn. Caramel popcorn or butter or plain with nothing not even salt on it. I could eat it by the tub full. Everyone else could have their sugar, cakes and cookies give me my popcorn!!!!!!!!!!! However the plus side is when I checked out the health benefits of popcorn it is the healthiest fiber you could eat because it has the germ and the bran most fibers don't have it all. Also 3 cups of popcorn is equal to 1 serving of whole grain food. Popcorn is healthy for you so you really don't have to limit yourself to once every 2 weeks. This has become my go to snack for the past few weeks.
    But I do have to limit, it's the amount of butter I put on it!
    I have found that if you use I can't believe it is not butter spray and you spray it on you will get a butter fix with a lot less calories. Butter is my down fall with everything.
    Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 PM

this sounds yumooooooo the only things I will do different is replace 1/2 the butter with applesauce and use fat free milk. I wish I had the apple juice I would make it today. I have reg apple juice I could simmer it and reduce it to make it concentrated but that would take awhile to do. OH well I will put that on my grocery list along with apples for next week.

Thanks for posting this.
    Oops, guess I should have put that info on there. lol

Per Serving:
    271 calories
    10 g fat (6 g sat)
    42 g carbohydrate
    4 g fiber
    302 mg sodium
    73 mg cholesterol

I'm sure adding the applesauce and using fat-free milk would bring the fat and calories down. I think I'll try it that way next time. :)
    Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
    Baked apples - here's a weight watchers recipe that lists each apple as 1 point. So... enjoy!

4 medium apple(s), cored*
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 cup(s) SPLENDAŽ SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
    1/4 cup(s) water
    2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/4 oz fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix, about 2 Tbsp
    3/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a vegetable peeler, peel a 1/2-inch horizontal strip around apples to help release juices during baking. Place apples in a 9 X 9-inch baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger and Splenda. Place 1 tablespoon of cinnamon mixture in cored-out center of each apple; sprinkle remaining cinnamon mixture over apples. Combine water and lemon juice in a cup; pour liquid around apples.

Bake until apples are soft when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and let cool.

Pour pudding mix into a medium bowl; whisk in milk to make a fairly thin sauce. Place one apple on a plate and drizzle with sauce. Yields 1 apple and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.
    Notes
    *Use Granny Smith apples for a tart flavor and Gala for a sweeter flavor.
    Jan,

Do you have the rest of the nutrition facts? Sounds incredible!!!

Missy
    Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for posting this.
    Oops, guess I should have put that info on there. lol

Per Serving:
    271 calories
    10 g fat (6 g sat)
    42 g carbohydrate
    4 g fiber
    302 mg sodium
    73 mg cholesterol

I'm sure adding the applesauce and using fat-free milk would bring the fat and calories down. I think I'll try it that way next time. :)
    Christina,

Do you know how many of the carbs come from sugar?

Missy
    Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM

lol, Missy! Do a mental grocery list in your head while you're then then show off your gorgeous self at the grocery store picking up ingredients for the cake! ;)
    DONE! hehehe

Missy