Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Stop the pitty party. You are so much better off this year than last.

I wanted to tell everyone that prunes and prune juice do really good things for people who are diabetic. My mother has alwasy been anemic, but after a month drinking 6 oz. of prune juice every day, she is now up in the normal range for all woman. Her bouncy, trouncy blood sugars came back on line and she feels better than ever. We also tried the prunes that are called "Ones". These are individually wrapped, pitted prumes. They look nice enough to put into a cancy dish, and they are so sweet and juicy you wont believe your mouth.

One day I had a really high sugar that then plummeted to the 40's. I was a mess. Mom gave me one prune and it stopped the hypoglycemic problem in its tracks. It also made me thursty. So I recommend prunes and prune Juice at least a little bit a day.
Oh Gwyn,

You raised some really good things about prunes. I will buy some of the Ones. I know I haven't liked prunes before but I am willing to try it now that you showed some of the benefits.

Missy
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Speaking of prune juice. Get the V8 mixed juices, (Not the sugarfree or fat free, you lose your juice) I get prune juice and pour a little into the v8 juice, can't taste it and I get the benefits!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
Speaking of prune juice. Get the V8 mixed juices, (Not the sugarfree or fat free, you lose your juice) I get prune juice and pour a little into the v8 juice, can't taste it and I get the benefits!
Another great idea!

Missy
Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I haven't had V8 in years, I always thought it was kind of spice for me, I don't like spice but I would use it as a base for soup. V8 a bag of frozen mixed veggies a handful of rice and soup is on. It is as easy as opening a can.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

Now I am pissed so pissed I want to spit........

So all this talk about prunes made me decide to stew some prunes to have with my yogurt tonight since we all know baked apples are out of the question. I put some prunes in a small pot with a little water, covered it and I left the kitchen to come here. A little time has past and I smell something burning, not unusal as many people have started to burn leaves. It is illegal yet they do it anyway. So I just kept looking around the board and a nice breeze is blowing in the window and I realized it didn't smell like smoke. So where is the smell coming from. I got up to check and I forgot about my prunes, they were burned to a crisp. Had to toss them now I have the burned pot soaking I think all the scrubbing in the world will not clean it. It was a nice small pot perfect for cooking cream of wheat or boiling a few eggs. If I can't get it clean I will be lost without it. It come in a set of Faberwear pots almost 30 years ago. I wonder if they sell the size anymore. I guess I will check amazon. What I liked is not only was it small it came with a lid now a days so many pots don't have lids.

Sorry I am just babbling.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 AM

When I do that to a pan, my husband puts some dishwashing liquid in the pan and adds water and puts it on to boil, he lets it boil for about 5 minutes and so far it has always come clean (not that I burn a lot of food or anything like that)

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Now I am pissed so pissed I want to spit........

So all this talk about prunes made me decide to stew some prunes to have with my yogurt tonight since we all know baked apples are out of the question. I put some prunes in a small pot with a little water, covered it and I left the kitchen to come here. A little time has past and I smell something burning, not unusal as many people have started to burn leaves. It is illegal yet they do it anyway. So I just kept looking around the board and a nice breeze is blowing in the window and I realized it didn't smell like smoke. So where is the smell coming from. I got up to check and I forgot about my prunes, they were burned to a crisp. Had to toss them now I have the burned pot soaking I think all the scrubbing in the world will not clean it. It was a nice small pot perfect for cooking cream of wheat or boiling a few eggs. If I can't get it clean I will be lost without it. It come in a set of Faberwear pots almost 30 years ago. I wonder if they sell the size anymore. I guess I will check amazon. What I liked is not only was it small it came with a lid now a days so many pots don't have lids.

Sorry I am just babbling.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
When I do that to a pan, my husband puts some dishwashing liquid in the pan and adds water and puts it on to boil, he lets it boil for about 5 minutes and so far it has always come clean (not that I burn a lot of food or anything like that)
I have done that too. I have also put an inch or so of water in the pot and then dump a BUNCH of baking soda in the pan and let it sit for a while then put it on the stove on low for a while and that generally does the trick for our burned pans.

Missy
Old 10-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Today I'm going to make a chocolate cake that's sweetened by apple juice concentrate and pitted prunes.
OK so where is this recipe???????????? Funny Missy and I were just talking about prunes and what do you know it is here in your recipe. PLEASE POST IT!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Absolutely, let me just type it up. The cake came out so good. It was moist but dense, kind of like pound cake. We topped it with blackberries and raspberries and then had a side of ice cream made from coconut milk and sweetened with evaporated cane juice. It was AMAZING!!! lol
Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Today I'm going to make a chocolate cake that's sweetened by apple juice concentrate and pitted prunes.
OK so where is this recipe???????????? Funny Missy and I were just talking about prunes and what do you know it is here in your recipe. PLEASE POST IT!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Absolutely, let me just type it up. The cake came out so good. It was moist but dense, kind of like pound cake. We topped it with blackberries and raspberries and then had a side of ice cream made from coconut milk and sweetened with evaporated cane juice. It was AMAZING!!! lol
Christina,

You are one wicked woman! How dare you tempt me with chocolate cake when I am about to leave to get my hair done. *sigh* It will take almost 5 hours to get my hair done and I will be drooling the whole time. I sure hope my hair dresser doesn't think I am psychotic! :D:D:D:D

Missy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113862.jpe  
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Ok, here's the cake recipe. I got it from the May 2010 issue of Family Circle.

Rich Chocolate Cake

Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 min Cook: 6 min
Bake: at 325 degrees for 50 min

1 can (12 oz) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
3/4 c. sweet pitted prunes
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3 eggs
1/2 c. 2% milk
2 t. vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9" springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a medium-size saucepan, heat 1 1/4c. of the apple juice concentrate with the prunes and butter over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and mixture just begins to simmer, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, 3/4 c. cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Carefully transfer apple juice mixture to a blender and mix until prunes are pureed.

4. Beat eggs in a large bowl until blended. With mixer on medium speed, slowly add apple juice mixture. Beat until evenly blended. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture. Stir in vanilla; spread into prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; then remove pan and cool completely.

5. Once cake has cooled, dust top with a little cocoa powder, Slice and serve with berries and ice cream.