"Weigh In"

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

VALVE
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Nursie, I'm the same way!! For me it's a total addiction. Once it starts it's like a value that doesn't shut off!!
I hear ya! Isn't it awful when it happens?! :cry:
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Nursy,I'm also a nurse and used to work day shift. I had to stop with all the doughnuts, bagels etc that everyone brought it b/c it made me so sluggish. I haven't eaten sweet anything in the morning for quite awhile. This sounds silly but I'm addicted to bubble gum. If I buy it I can't stop. And of course I don't like the sugar free b/c it doesn't taste the same :D
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I remember a time in my life when food was something you had to indulge in to stay alive. What happened???????
Now if I get out of control I'm just like a dog. Eat till it's gone.
I'm soooooo bad!! :twisted:
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM

I drink a lot of water, but I also drink things with artificial sweetners...I don't see that it's done anything but help me to lose 103 pounds...

I have heard that they make you crave the "real thing"...i.e., sugar...I haven't experienced that either...

I think it's all a matter of what you like...you DO need to watch sodium contents in artificially sweetened drinks...it can be super high!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 PM

I am working on portion control, exercising more, and trying to drink more water. Sugar is a problem for me too, but I do allow myself some so I won't feel deprived and I can stay with it better.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I remember a time in my life when food was something you had to indulge in to stay alive. What happened???????
Now if I get out of control I'm just like a dog. Eat till it's gone.
I'm soooooo bad!! :twisted:
You are not alone!! Ask me how I know ;)
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM

I am going to join you ladies in this fight to lose weight. I will do my weigh ins on Thursday. I want very much to loose 40 lbs by July. My son is getting married in September and the bridal shower is in July. Will be meeting up with all my old girl friends. LOL You know how that goes. LOL I need all the help I can get. I have tried to do this myself with a loss of only a lb or two.

Nurse 76 - How do you know????
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Crafty Nana
I just discovered this thread last night and would like to join. I need to lose about 70 lbs. and have very little willpower. I read through all 24 pages and the encouragement here is overwhelming. Can't wait to join in. Today will be my first day. For me I need to give up sugar. Sugar, sweets, and chocolate are my biggest downfalls. I can live on chocolate. I also work a lot of hours and am usually just too tired to workout, but I am going to try to make a much bigger effort to do so.
Welcome, CraftyNana. You are off to a great start. We both have about the same amount of weight to lose. My job has me sitting for long periods of time. I got my elliptical machine out and did about 2 minutes :oops: It is soooo hard. Then I needed batteries so I can keep track. I moved it to a more comfortable position on the enclosed porch (I gave up waiting for any of the guys in the house to help. They would say "ok," but that was the end of it. lol). I may only be able to go a minute or two at first, but strength will come and I will increase as I can. I recently set up my quilting room in the basement, so am doing more stairs than usual too. I also cut way down on the sugar, as well as salt, first thing. I'm not cutting anything out completely. I don't eat red meat and my family does, so this is a challenge for me. Is there anyone else here who does not eat red meat? I can eat a little chicken, turkey, and fish, but I get most of my protein from a soy shake in the morning and dishes with beans (Beano is wonderful!). This is the first time in years that I have been excited about losing the weight. Until now, I was just plain stuck because it seemed overwhelming. This group is the best. I come to this group for accountability. It really helps. No beat-downs - just encouragement, help, and support. I feel truly blessed to be here. Like someone else recently shared, I have rediscovered Cream of Wheat hot cereal and oatmeal for dinner choices. Can barely wait to see the grand total for February. Again, welcome, and thank you to everyone for the encouragement.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
I have a question--has anyone had any experience that the use of artificial sweeteners cause weight gain? I've read a couple of articles about that. They said that using artificial sweeteners, especially in soda pop, causes people to have a bigger appetite and that by drinking them, when you think they are saving calories, actually cause you to eat more.
I personally don't use artificial sweeteners--they give me really nasty migraine headaches. If the articles I've read are really true, maybe it will help someone else.
I have heard the same thing. Not sure how much truth is in it. I think it is like most things, ok in moderation. I had a friend who had a friend who drank a TON of diet pop in a day (close to 20 or something) and ended up having a cat scan done on the brain. He had all these strange spots all over the brain. Needless to say he cut back.