Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Half-Square Triangle Migraine >
  • Half-Square Triangle Migraine

• Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Buy this, you'll never regret it, from Bear Paw Productions. She's wonderful to deal with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6o7Bh7MYg
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
    I agree, I do HSTs not QSTs. So much easier.

Although, I was part of a HST exchange last year that was so easy. In just a few hours I made just over 1,100 HSTs from a pattern my LQS called Cinnamon sticks. It was so easy. I took a dark and a light, right sides together, stiched a "pattern" and cut them apart and in five minutes of sewing and five more minutes of cutting I had 28 HST. I did the pattern 40 times, brought it into my LQS for exchange and walked out a month later with 40 "sticks" or 1120 HSTs of every imaginable combination. I made my avatar quilt with them.

It took me longer to sit on the floor and arrange them all in a pleasing pattern than it did to sew the HSTs in the first place! I can scan in the "pattern" tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Tara
    I would appreciate that. Thanks for the offer.
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.
    Do you mean draw the line down the center on the diagonal like I first learned or down the center, top to bottom of the square? Then how do I "trim them down?" I can't picture it at all.
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM

This is my favorite HST method. Makes 8 at a time and no bias edges.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-178029.jpe  
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Buy this, you'll never regret it, from Bear Paw Productions. She's wonderful to deal with.

Yes, this is the Triangulations CD that others have mentioned - so much easier than any other method I've tried. The best price I've seen for it is $22 at Connecting Threads - it's worth it for the headaches it saves.

One of my current BOM projects is all HST's and if it weren't for Triangulations, I'd have pulled all my hair out the first month. And the blocks are drawn in 1/16" increments, so you should never lack for the exact size that you need.

HST's drive me crazy - for all the reasons you've run into and a few problems that I've created on my own. :mrgreen: But, they come out really nice this way - without even trimming them.
    Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

Thank you, each and every one for your wonderful suggestions. I have tried one or two of the links you so kindly sent and I think I will do well. I'm going to look at all the rulers and software also. I truly appreciate your help and I hope I can help someone else in the future. I've avoided any quilt pattern with HST's for so long and now I just may try one with lots of them. My migraine has eased :) :)

Nolee

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Originally Posted by b.zang

Yes, this is the Triangulations CD that others have mentioned - so much easier than any other method I've tried. The best price I've seen for it is $22 at Connecting Threads - it's worth it for the headaches it saves.

One of my current BOM projects is all HST's and if it weren't for Triangulations, I'd have pulled all my hair out the first month. And the blocks are drawn in 1/16" increments, so you should never lack for the exact size that you need.

HST's drive me crazy - for all the reasons you've run into and a few problems that I've created on my own. :mrgreen: But, they come out really nice this way - without even trimming them.
    Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I tried that method of the "all around the four sides" and when my first row went together, it was really getting strange puckers that appeared out of nowhere... so I am back to the sew the diagonal first too ~ MUCH better!!! that way the bias is already sewn!
    Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.
    THIS IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL WAY i DO THEM. :thumbup:
    Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3
    Originally Posted by sandpat
    IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!
    This is the way I do them, also. Haven't had problems so far. (knock on wood).
    Me too...if it works for me it will work for anyone!
    Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

THANGLES!