Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM

I've tried everything - Rescue Remedy, Dog Calm, calming collar, ThunderShirt, riding in the car, ignoring her, - mention it, I tried. Ruby is frightened of storms and fire crackers - period. I'm not going to ignore her. If it gives her comfort for me to cuddle her, I'll do it. She knows I'm alpha and she knows I'll protect her. I KNEW my mom would protect me, but I was still afraid of the dark.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM

I have two of them! One small - Maltese and one larger - Wheaton. They are both terrified of thunder. I used the tranquilizers on the Wheaton and didn't like the side effect. Besides, sometimes the pill would work AFTER the storm was over :( I taught the big guy to go into the bathroom where it's cozy and dark. I don't have a kennel for him anymore. So, now, if we're not home, they go into the bathroom where its dark and small. If I'm home, I take them up to the bedroom and we all snuggle up under the blankets and I put the TV on. It helps them. I have to put the Maltese under the blankets or he'll try to find a corner to borrow into. I try not to make a big deal out of it - don't want to "over" reinforce it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM

I pay attention. My dh's dog died of a heart attack because he was afraid of the storm.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!
Gotta disagree. Fear is an emotion, and you can't reinforce fear. Patricia McConnell explains it far better than I ever could.

There are several reasons why that advice is wrong, here’s one of them: Fear is designed to be aversive, that’s why it is an effective way of affecting behavior and keeping animals out of trouble when they encounter something that might hurt them. Fear is aversive enough that no amount of petting or sweet talk is going to make your dog more likely to shiver and shake when she hears thunder rolling as the clouds billow and the rains begin.

Here’s the example for you of how hard it is to “reinforce” fear. What if someone tried break into your home in the middle of the night? Let’s say they did, and after the intruder left, a friend or loved one sat down with you on the couch, brought you tea and gave you a hug. Would the tea and sympathy make you more likely to be afraid if it happened again the next night? Of course not.

Can you imagine someone saying: “Well, I understand that you are frightened, but I’m going to ignore you because any sympathy that I would give you might make you more likely to be frightened if it ever happens again.” I don’t know about you, but that would be my EX friend.

One could criticize this example as one of misplaced anthropomorphism, but the fact is that this process works much the same in dogs as it does in people. The fact is, it is almost impossible to “reinforce fear.” Fear is highly aversive, and if anything, it works in reverse. I suppose, if you did it often enough, you could create an association between thunder and petting that would make your dog afraid of petting, but it is extremely unlikely to go the other way around.

It is true that you can make your dog more afraid than he already is, by doing something yourself that scares him, by forcing him into situations that scare him already or by being afraid yourself. Emotions are contagious, so if you want your dog to be afraid of thunder, then be afraid yourself! But you’re not going to make him more afraid of storms if you stroke his head and tell him it’s going to be okay.
Heres the full article: http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com...-thunderstorms

Having owned a truly thunderphobic dog who damaged property (broke windows, ripped the dryer door off trying to get in, destroyed several interior doors) and herself (several broken teeth, cuts from glass, she once ripped off a toenail) trying to escape the thunder, I recommend that you seek the help of a vet experienced in this and use anti anxiety meds like Diazepam and Xanax to lower the fear threshold and gently counter-condition your dog to seek out a safe place: your lap, his crate, the bath tub (I know that sounds weird but I guess a lot of dogs choose the bathtub because the metal changes the charge in the air around it...some dogs stick their heads behind the toilet).

Comforting your dog won't make him more afraid, I promise.

And using drugs doesn't have to be a forever thing...if it helps him its worth trying.

If anyone cares to see it I can send them a longer explanation of how I counter-conditioned Lacey to calm herself and hide in the bathtub.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Use to give our dog Brenadryl for children.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
BTW it does matter because in a previous post, this is a rescue dog and is 5 yrs old and no telling how she was abused in the life before Craftybear rescued her. I think it is relevant. Just saying...these are the facts that weren't on this post.♥♥
No, I still don't believe it matters. One of our rescues, Charlie, was four when he became a member of our household. He had been neglected and abused, and locked in a small crate in the backyard of a house on an army base (think firing range) for at least two of those years. When he came to us he was terrified of EVERYTHING. During thunderstorms, if the TV was loud, if we were loud, when my husband practiced his tuba or bass, when a truck went by...any loud noise sent him under the furniture, where he would pee and shiver until a good hour after everything stopped.

He is no longer afraid of anything except thunder, which we're still working on. He no longer hides for any reason, including thunderstorms, and hasn't peed out of anxiety since the first month he was here.

We don't coddle him - it does not help him. He trusts us more every day; we've all worked hard to ear that. This was not a short time deal - he's been with us for 2 1/2 years. We aren't perfect leaders, and he had some serious issues coming in. But the progress he's made has been transformative, and he's a far more relaxed and happier dog today for our efforts.

For what it's worth. :)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Crafty, Your dog should have a kennel cage. They feel safe in there. My Missy dog is like yours and when it storms I put her in her cage and I cover her cage with a fabric, kinda like you would a bird. She is use to getting in there and covering up when it storms, sometimes she will yelp and i tell her, no! Most of the time she is quiet and calm.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
My sister has to use Doggie Downer's also .....I love shih tzu's but am alergic to animals.
Most people that are allergic to animals are not allergic to them, they have hair like people not fur.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

I inherited a Samoyed that is terrified of storms. I tried to put her in her crate (that she loves) but she tried so hard to get out the she bent the metal grate over the windows. She'll also try and hide behind furniture if we're not home and it's only a matter of time before she pulls something off and hurts herself.

I think that it's time to discuss medication before she really harms herself. She's almost 11 and I hate for her to feel such fear.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM

When we got our dog years ago we cage trained her. She has a large cage that she sleeps in. That cage goes into the SUV and she rides in it, not loose in the car. Over the years she has come to think of the cage as a security house. So when it starts to storm she goes to her cage. if the door is shut she starts to whine and gets real nervous till you open it for her. She isn't a little dog either she's a large golden retriever.