Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Class Tools >
  • Sewing Class Tools

• Sewing Class Tools

Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM

When I did a a class, I picked up a small tin tackle box (for fishing) and used that to carry my class supplies. It has sections in the top part that are excellent for small items. And the bottom is open for your knife and longer items.
    Works great and has a handle. :)
    Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Seat Cushion
    Extension cord/surge protector
    Small scissors
    Extra Machine needles
    Pins and pin cushion
    Full bobbins in the color you need
    Machine manual
    Seam ripper
    Extra thread spool
    Travel iron
    Pen or pencil and small tablet to take notes
    Small ruler
    Rotary cutter/ruler/small mat for beside the machine if piecing.
    Two bottles of water at least.
    Snack - Trail mix or dried canberries
    Take your lunch, it will give you more time in class at your machine
    Small table if you have room in the class and your car. I put my iron and cutting mat on this beside the table, sometimes I set it up to the back and between my sewing mate and we share my iron and mat. You can get a light weight plastic fold up table at Costco or other discounter for great price....really worth the money along with that cushion for your chair.
    Happy quilting.
    D in TX
    Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by bisseau
    Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Seam ripper, rotary cutter/blades, rulers, marking tool, pins, needles, thread.....oh, and chocolate!
    My kind of fellow student...can I sit near you?
    Sure - warning though, as you can tell by my "name" - my table is usually the rowdiest..... :D
    Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Everyone has suggested most of what I bring with me except for a tool called the purple thangy (a plastic stilleto-type tool for guiding fabric and such).

I use a kniiting bag that's about 10" deep x 12" high x 15" wide; it has lots of pockets and zips across the top. Home improvement stores (Home Depot, etc.) also carry all sorts & sizes of canvas tool bags. I found a plastic container (the size of a small flat cake container)that fits nicely into it, on edge. All my fabric for the project/class or WIP fits into it. I also carry the jumbo size zip lock bags, and a couple of sandwich size, to group/store things together.

Lastly, because I'm not a coffee drinker, I always have diet Pepsi cans with me, transporting them in my work bag. Do you know how EASY it is to puncture one of these cans with a ruler (point)??? Yup, on two separate ocassions, I've punctured a can without knowing it, only to find a puddle at the bottom of the bag when I get to class!! :-( First time wasn't tooooo bad but, the second time, I ruined a nice chunk of fabric! Thankfully, the shop still had some in stock.

My solution to this was to buy some insulation batting (at Joann's) that is used in lunch bags, plus a scrap of decorator fabric, to make a cylindrical tube, closed at one end, drawstring on the top, to transport a couple of cans. I figure this should be heavy duty enough to thwart (don't you just love that word... thwart) the sharpest of rulers. Ta da!! :-)
    Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM

You've got some great lists to begin with. First and foremost is to be sure to have what the class needs. But to add to the already suggested lists you have posted above - I bring a magnifying glass (tired old eyes, ya know) and a camera. Love taking pictures of others' work, helps to inspire me in other directions along with helping me to refresh my self on the lessons of the day.
    Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by CBAKER
    I'm putting together an idea for a sewing class. I found a bag that would hold all the tools I would need to take to a sewing class. My QUESTION is " What would you put in your sewing bag, that you would need in a class ? :?:
    Make sure you have a mechanical pencil in their. I went to a class, had forgotten mine and picked up what I thought was one of the stores for student use, only to hear another student tell me that I could keep it if I needed it! How embarrassing!
    Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

Chocolate sounds good - but maybe it should be left at home - it could smear on things.

Bottled water - I think I would avoid any liquids that are colored - in case they spilled. I would feel bad if it landed on my stuff - terrible if it landed on someone else's things.

Maybe non-sticky snacks? Or wrapped hard candies?

I appreciate a listing from the teacher.

I also appreciate a detailed list of what "the usual sewing supplies" are.
    Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Don't forget the fabric!
    Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Great ideas.

I really do keep my everyday tools in a clear plastic cosmetic case. This goes with me wherever I take my machine. I have another clear plastic bag [a gift] with the usual thread colors: greys, black, white, cream, and tans and my bobbin ring with extra bobbins. I add to this as needed.

My cushion is next to my machine so I won't forget to take it. My cutting mat is next to that as is my serge protector extention cord.

My sewing machine manual is with the machine when traveling.

I never take an iron unless specifically told to as they do use a lot of power and where I go to quilt or take classes they already have the irons.

This is Arizona so whenever I leave the house I have my topped coffee mug that I use for water only with me.

Gads, but I do have plenty of totes to put it all in the nite before any class with my checklist. Since I have a garage I can prepack the car the nite before if it isn't too hot. Then I will place my things near the kitchen door out of my way for packing the next day.

Can you tell I am a list maker?

ali
    Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM

I have a rolling case for my machine that I keep packed with everything that has already been posted except for a teflon pressing sheet. I use it for applique. I love, love, love my 'purple thing'. So glad that I picked it up at a shop hop one year. Use it all the time.