Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Liberty of London fabric >

Liberty of London fabric

Liberty of London fabric

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by Katydid2
. LOVE YOUR AVATAR - you should design a pattern off of it!
thank you. It's on the list somewhere; I will probably do batiks to get that effect. (tie-dye my own fabric.)
I also love your avatar. What is it a picture of? Could we see a larger picture of it. I think it would make a fantastic quilt.

Robyn
Old 05-26-2011, 01:53 PM

WOW!!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM

The "Lawn" fabric is used primarily for heirloom clothing (the victorian type long girl's dresses)...It is not really quilting fabric......Many of the clothes that use the Austrailian Smocking are made from lawn fabric.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM

I, too, love your avatar!

Never heard of BS. When asked where I live, I tell people I live in the poor white trash section before the next street where the high noses live. I don't mind paying a reasonable price, but the ridiculous prices are not for me.

Rebecca, Is it really possible to go a year without buying fabric? I hope I don't ever have to find out.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Fabric.com just advertised that they have this line now. Very pretty prints, but why are they so expensive? (don't look unless you have access to oxygen...)
OMG what makes them so expensive????

:(
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Been to Liberty's in London ... ooohhhed and ahhhed over so many of their fabrics. Then I almost fell back down the center atrium to the bottom floor after reading the prices.

Someone asked why so pricey ... while I'm sure the quality is there, mostly it's the name your paying for. Liberty's & Harrods are "prestige" shops. You pay far more for everything just because you walk out the door with the sale in a Liberty or Harrods bag. Cool places to visit though.
I was in Liberty of London in 1999, I think it was- what a beautiful place! I bought some fabric then and it was 20 pounds per meter back then. I am really glad I got it then, it is extremely nice fabric, but I still have it and can't stand to cut it up! I will someday when I find the proper project.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Been to Liberty's in London ... ooohhhed and ahhhed over so many of their fabrics. Then I almost fell back down the center atrium to the bottom floor after reading the prices.

Someone asked why so pricey ... while I'm sure the quality is there, mostly it's the name your paying for. Liberty's & Harrods are "prestige" shops. You pay far more for everything just because you walk out the door with the sale in a Liberty or Harrods bag. Cool places to visit though.
Ohhhh - goodie -- I will be in London next month. Something else to look for....I am sure I can always find room in my suitcase for fabric.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 PM

I've always wanted to go to London....won't be doing that any time soon if ever.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Liberty's fabric is beautiful and expensive even by our standards. £10 (I DO have a £ sign on my keyboard, I even have a $ sign too!) a metre is the norm here for a quilting cotton and £12 for a batik. At Liberty's you are paying for the brand name and the designer element attached to it, they brought out a range last year to celebrate the quilt exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Musem - there you are paying a premium price for the double whammy of a V&A logo alongside a Liberty's logo - I think that was £25 per metre. Bear in mind these are English brands and very familiar to English people. I'm certain sure there are branded items that Americans would perceive as 'quality' so be prepared to pay a premium for but that would mean nothing to us Brits.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 AM

$28.98? Seriously? I won't be buying it using ANY country's currency. This is ridiculous.