Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 AM

I've had a front loader for nearly 10 years. We don't make our clothes exceptionally dirty so I don't know about it not cleaning well. I find that using higher quality detergent like Tide works better. I like the way it is so gentle on your clothes, saves water and laundry detergent. I seem to do small loads and have to be sure they're not too small or the clothes won't spin out the excess water. Mine are Kenmore and I've had them repaired once but was washing a lot of extra heavy wool for crafts. The stink factor is a problem but maybe they solved this with the newer machines but keeping door open helps. The cycle is longer and the noise of the spinning is loud and seems to vibrate the walls if it is located near living space. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 AM

I have a Whirlpool top loader. I prefer the top since I can use whatever soap I like and a front loader requires a certain kind of soap (our next door neighbor has one). One more important thing - it is almost 30 years old. Can't beat that with a spoon!!!!!

Edie

Oh, yes you can!!!!!!! Our dryer (Whirlpool) is 38 years old!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 AM

I have a Whirlpool top loader. I prefer the top since I can use whatever soap I like and a front loader requires a certain kind of soap (our next door neighbor has one). One more important thing - it is almost 30 years old. Can't beat that with a spoon!!!!!

Edie

Oh, yes you can!!!!!!! Our dryer (Whirlpool) is 38 years old!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 AM

Front loaders: great selection of wash cycles, steam option, less water (hmmm, that should have been the first red flag) did a nice job in the begining, but later on I noticed that my clothes did not seem to be as clean as I thought they should be. Musty odor even with the door open after a period of time. Yes, the appliances look fabulous, but I would not purchase another one.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 AM

We had a Maytag for 30 years. I don't think they are made like that anymore. They say expect only 10 years out of appliances. I went with smaller and cheaper front loader (Kenmore) and have had it for over 10 years and I'm very happy. No problem with queen size quilts. I will definitely be buying another front loader in the future.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 AM

I recently got a new frontloader. Love it. Yes some of the cycles take longer. The whitest white cycle is 2 hours. The normal cycle is only slightly longer than my old machine. Maybe 5 minutes. As I was folding the first load I did in it i noticed how much cleaner they were. My DH has worked in the sun his whole life. Now has spots of skin cancer. He has to wear long sleeved shirts all the time. He prefers dress shirts. He is a landscaper and they get gross dirty. Huge ring around the colar and wrists. They actually come clean without pretreating. Some of the dirt had been there for a long time. Love it.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 AM

I love my front loader, I don't think it takes any longer than a top loader. Mine sets on a base with a drawer, makes it more convient and I have a drawer for storage. Also have the dryer on a base.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 AM

I have had a front loader for 20yrs and just love them. They save on water/soap and do a good job cleaning the clothes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
I have an LG front load washer, and I adore it. We've had it for 2 years, and my only complaint is my own fault: I didn't know about running a clean cycle on it. I just did a heavy duty deep clean cycle, and no more musty! Now that I know, I won't have the problem anymore.

Edit: Oh, one regret? We didn't buy the pedestals for them. It's not a huge deal, we're young and (somewhat) limber, but I can see now that the extra $ for the pedestals would have been worth it.
Agree about pedestals,have Maytag. Can't use Retayne in it; use sink. Have never felt inclined to dye in it. Does a good job and is economical on water and detergent.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 AM

50 years ago when I was a newlywed I had a combo front load washer/dryer. I absolutely loved it. Took 20 min to run through the wash cycle, 20 minutes to dry. The only problem was I couldn't wash a load while the cleaned clothes were drying. Machine was left by the previous tenant who went into a nursing home. This machine lasted me 12 years (until 1976). Then because I couldn't find a front loader, I bought a Maytag top loader washer and separate dryer. The washer lasted me 22 years (until 1990) and I replaced it with the same Maytag model because I NEVER had to repair it. The dryer lasted another 5 years (1995), no repairs, and I replaced it with the same model. I still have those Maytags and if my luck holds out, I figure I have 5–10 more years before they need to be replaced.