Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt for a church to raffel off >

A quilt for a church to raffel off

A quilt for a church to raffel off

Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 AM

My Mom donated quilts to the church for years. They were full size quilts. Traditional in pattern. Information flyers should say what the raffle is for. Not just the church. If there is a specific purpose for the raffle it normally will do better. Her last quilt was to raise money for a new roof. The raffle raised $2500. The church is very small and in a rural area.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 AM

There was a topic here not too long ago from a Quilting Board member who recently wrote an article for a quilt magazine (I think it was McCall's) about raffling off quilts. If I recall correctly, she suggested traditional patterns and definitely queen size!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:05 AM

I know you haven't even made the quilt yet but can I buy tickets or chances, whatever they are called??? I'd love to have a home made quilt. I'm a new quilter, haven't even finished my first project. I think anyone who wouldn't want a home made quilt...well, I can heat the rocks rattling around in their heads, LOLOL, just kidding. I think the pattern should be your own. I'm sure they would appreciate anything you produce. I love log cabin quilts myself.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Can that church do a raffle?

Does it need to get a permit or anything?

Some states are really picky about raffles.
Our Church can not do a raffle , considered gambling.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I know you haven't even made the quilt yet but can I buy tickets or chances, whatever they are called??? I'd love to have a home made quilt. I'm a new quilter, haven't even finished my first project. I think anyone who wouldn't want a home made quilt...well, I can heat the rocks rattling around in their heads, LOLOL, just kidding. I think the pattern should be your own. I'm sure they would appreciate anything you produce. I love log cabin quilts myself.
or the disappearing 9 patch, goes rather quickly, and looks more difficult than it is.
That's a lot of work and material to 'give' away!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 AM

We just did one, and we did a sampler with about 7 different colors in it. I made 5 of the blocks (there were 5 of us ladies) and machine quilted it. It is for a handicapped Lutheran camp in northern SD. Here is a picture to give you an idea.

FMQ using regular sewing machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239957[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239951.jpe  
Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Beautiful quilt, mshollysd!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Mary I feel like I'm the right person to answer this since I'm in the process of making a quilt for a raffle (DD is trying to adopt and needs help). First do not choose a pattern that is time consuming (my first biggest mistake). Choose a block that is at least 12" finished (second big mistake). If you're good at set-in triangles, choose a block you can set on point - less blocks that way (thought of this after I had made some of the more difficult blocks, and of course they can't be set on point). Choose a color scheme that will appeal to the masses and try to use a traditional pattern. Fabrics nothing dull or nothing too bright. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by maryb44662
I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
A take 5 is fast and easy ... has anyone suggested this..?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Here's the link to my post that includes a picture of the quilt that I just raffled off to help fund my participation in the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer 3-Day, 60 mile walk.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-131135-1.htm

I was able to raise $2476 in about 60 days!! The quilt pictured is 84" x 104", but could easily be made larger or smaller. I used 30's reproduction fabrics and white, but I also made a similar quilt using only reds, whites and blues and much less scrappy. Good Luck!