A quilt for a church to raffel off

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Hidden 9 patch, fast and easy and each block can have its own
sashing.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
Originally Posted by maryb44662
INow.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
If you put a churn dash block (easy to piece) next to a snow ball block and piece it every other like that, you will get great secondary pattern and it goes fast with making HST 2 at a time and sewing the snowball corners on as squares and folding back. Sketch it out if you like. It looks great.
I like this idea -- this is a beautiful setting.
what is a churn dash block?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM

What about something like Jacob's Ladder, or something similar that they can relate back to their faith?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
Originally Posted by maryb44662
INow.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
If you put a churn dash block (easy to piece) next to a snow ball block and piece it every other like that, you will get great secondary pattern and it goes fast with making HST 2 at a time and sewing the snowball corners on as squares and folding back. Sketch it out if you like. It looks great.
Thanks, that sounds pretty.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sosewbusy
Used to do this in my home church; using the quilt to teach and an excuse for great socializing. Then some do-gooder decided to kick up a fuss and said that it was gambling and that ended our being able to give the church up $600.00 each year. Good luck with yours.
I've been told it violates the 5013C (or some number like that) tax regulations to do a raffle. I had planned to do the same thing for our church.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Warm Wishes is an easy and
attractive pattern with a secondary
pattern in it. It's a favorite of mine.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:59 PM

i would definityl do a traditional pattern and qween size. controld scrapy is nice maybe a sampler or as sujested a log cabin looks like alot off work but realy not.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful thing to do. I made 7 or 8 quilts to be raffled off by my church at their fall Holiday Fair in Nov. of each year. Until recently, I made the quilt as part of my donation to the church. They had gone from members of the church making the quilt, to one couple buying them on trips to the Amish country. I didn't charge for the quilt until recently. My husband had been out of work for 2 years and we really needed the money and I had the perfect quilt. My son had been engaged to be married and his fiance called it off a week before the wedding. While Jen wanted a duvet coverlet instead of a quilt, I had gone to a lot of expense in getting fabric to make this quilt, using several batik fabrics, so I was given $400 for making the quilt. The quilt made over $2,000. Now I don't know if you would like to make this quilt as a raffle quilt, but it was (and I'm not kidding here folks) Lovers Knot. Or if you prefer Lovers Not. I've done Roman Stripes, Irish Chain, Ocean Waves, Jacob's Ladder, as well as Contrary Wife. My girlfriend has done several sampler quilts from her BOM quilts, and I forget what else we did. I'm sure anything you choose will do well if the quilt committee gets out and pushes for sales, as well as giving each member 25 tickets and asking them to sell or buy those tickets. That always worked for my quilt guild. I hope you can get a few ideas from my somewhat lengthy reply. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM

I have done 2 raffle quilts, 1 for my Genealogy Society and it was raffled in Nov. so I did a Christmas Star quilt, it was a hugh success as the holiday season was coming up. The other one I did was Jacob's Ladder for my church, I did it in blue and white ( I read somewhere that this is a popular color for raffle quilts)---It also was a great success---I had loads of fun doing these quilts--

Enjoy and let us know what you decide on and post a pic,
:)
Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM

How about a Trip Around the World in fall colors??? Or spring colors if it's a spring raffle?