Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt for a church to raffel off >

A quilt for a church to raffel off

A quilt for a church to raffel off

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by maryb44662
Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
INow.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
If you put a churn dash block (easy to piece) next to a snow ball block and piece it every other like that, you will get great secondary pattern and it goes fast with making HST 2 at a time and sewing the snowball corners on as squares and folding back. Sketch it out if you like. It looks great.
Thanks, that sounds pretty.
Sorry, I forgot to add that inside the snowball block you can use a big piece of focus fabric if you want. 12 inch goes so quick. Someone asked about what a churn dash block is...it is also called Hole in the Barn Door. I pounded out a top in one day for a raffle. I assume you know about making 2 HST at once by adding 7/8 in to the finished size, sewing 1/4 inch away on both sides from the diagonal of the block, cut apart and voila...2 HST from 2 sq, RST? Like I said, it goes fast.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM

INow.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
If you put a churn dash block (easy to piece) next to a snow ball block and piece it every other like that, you will get great secondary pattern and it goes fast with making HST 2 at a time and sewing the snowball corners on as squares and folding back. Sketch it out if you like. It looks great.
Thanks, that sounds pretty.
Sorry, I forgot to add that inside the snowball block you can use a big piece of focus fabric if you want. 12 inch goes so quick. Someone asked about what a churn dash block is...it is also called Hole in the Barn Door. I pounded out a top in one day for a raffle. I assume you know about making 2 HST at once by adding 7/8 in to the finished size, sewing 1/4 inch away on both sides from the diagonal of the block, cut apart and voila...2 HST from 2 sq, RST? Like I said, it goes fast.
Yes, I know how to do the 2 HST and the 4 HST. They are so easy to make. Thanks for all your ideas. Mary
P.S. There is a tute on how to do the 4 HST. Very simple.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by watterstide
i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

What a great thing to do for the church...!
Lap sized for a raffle quilt????????

Most of us routinely make lap quilts for ill or elderly members of the parish. Personally, I'd never take a chance on a lap quilt.
But, I'd bet that people who don't quilt would jump at the chance to have a lap quilt. Or perhaps something a little bigger like a couch-size quilt. You are making a generous donation to the church; you will be blessed.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Making a quilt on point uses half the pieced blocks and half just squares. It goes togehter very fast. I make 9P blocks and set them on point with coordinated squares. They can be as many colors as you want from two colors all the way to scrappy happy! I love making them.
This is very charitable of you.
peace
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM

I personally love the Baltimore Album quilts...I think something along that line would really raffle off well..
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

My girlfiend and I just finished a dresden plate in scrappy for our church bazaar in November. It really turned out very nice and I just need to bind it now.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:57 PM

I think the best size for your quilt would be a queen size. Most people now a days have queen size beds.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM

I make a raffle quilt for our church bazaar every year. I was making traditional quilts and found that the folks who liked them were the older generation who already had quilts. Now I make more geometric or arty quilts with batiks etc which seem to appeal to the younger (50+) ticket buyers. I was making sofa throws but find that people are more interested in queen size which can be used for a full or queen sized bed. I usually make the back interesting and tell folks that it is reversible. We usually make between $800 and $1100 on the quilt raffle. Shadow boxes was the quilt pattern three years ago. Good luck...I hope it makes a tidy sum for the church.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

You could make a fan quilt. I made one for a raffle for our new Home Extension office. They are not that hard to make and you use a lot of colors. Also you could do a DP9 patch with different colors. Or a trip around the world. Made one of those for a raffle done it in rainbow colors.They way I made the trip around world was by the squares. layed them out and then sewed up the rows. Not like doing it with the strip way
Any pattern that you enjoy making is the way to go and yes do a queen size. Have fun doing it also
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Choose a pattern that you will enjoy working on. Maybe one with a biblical name...Jacob's Ladder etc. You could do something simple like Warm Wishes or D9Patch. Have a look through your stash and see what you have to work with and an idea may come to you.