Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - - >

At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - -

At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - -

Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I will join you in getting tarred and feathered for this, bear, but why whenever there is a tragedy involving kids, people end up sticking stuffed animals on a chain link fence somewhere?

I always think, gee there are kids in foster care/hospitals who would like those stuffies...
Yep!! There were hundreds of wet molding stuffed critters on Caley Anthonys memorial spot,,and how many little ones have nothing.That makes me angry! It reminds me of the old story I heard about the man who put a new dress on his wifes grave.Someone next to him was putting flowers on a grave and made a remark to him that he was crazy, he replied"well,if they can smell those flowers,she can wear this dress"...
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
Originally Posted by bearisgray
For many of us, the very first response to almost any emergency is "He/She/They need hand-made quilts"

Interestingly enough, some of us are willing to spend $20+ and hours of time on a quilt and donating it - but not so willing to send $20 in cash for mundane things like water and food. (Assuming that the cash would go for what it was intended)

Wonder why?
I send in more than $20 for many mundane "things" when I can. I think perhaps one reason I am often hesitant is that the $20. may never get to those in need. For instance, the World Food Program that is about to run out of money to help feed those in Somalia. Unfortunately, southern Somalia is being controlled by al-Shabab right now and they will not accept food from "infidels". Also, in Somalia food sent for those in the famine areas is being stolen and sold. So, I do not think we quilters (or others) are stingy... sometimes we just dont know what to do to really help.
I want to add another story similar to this one. My daughter sent money to Feed the Children, about 10 years ago. She sent a bank check from the Credit Union where she was a member. About 5 years after sending the check some money showed up in her account that she didn't know where it came from. She asked me to go out and check, (I was on her account and she had moved) where the money came from, well the money was the check to Feed the Children redeposited into her account, they never cashed the check. I have often wondered WHY they never cashed the check. Maybe didn't know what it was being a bank check? Maybe was thrown out in the trash from someone not doing their job? Don't know! What do you think?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM

Most likely if it is a professional fund raiser asking for donations for a cause, that cause receives only a small portion of your gift.

I ask normally when I get a phone call request, if this is a profession org. and I then very often, hear the click of the receiver going down.

With a quilt, the charity gets all.......
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

It's hard to know where your dollars will end up. You brought up a really good topic.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Money to Salvation Army; food to local Food Bank; hand crafts to local shelters and assistance ministries.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Mostly I give $$ to our local food bank because I know they use the money the right way and I also know people around here are hungry.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by bearisgray
For many of us, the very first response to almost any emergency is "He/She/They need hand-made quilts"

Interestingly enough, some of us are willing to spend $20+ and hours of time on a quilt and donating it - but not so willing to send $20 in cash for mundane things like water and food. (Assuming that the cash would go for what it was intended)

Wonder why?
first question to that request. why hand made quilts? store bought ready, had made is more expensive and two blankets could be purchased.. hand made for a disaster/emergeny makes zero sense.. we put lots of time and energy in hand made things.. do they sell them for more money? really good post.. had to put my thinking hat on.
Ell
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think it is because the $20 rarely goes where it should, or may 50 cents of it...
That, AND I think people want to give from the heart, and give something that will last after the event to soften the blow of the ordeal during the post-event recovery period. While someone might be hungry or thirsty in the aftermath, they also want to old something to receive physical, emotional and psychological comfort.

I think the rationale is very similar to giving quilts to terminally ill or high risk newborns/babies/toddlers/kids - the parents have the quilt after the child crosses over to comfort them.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM

I am with you, it is so hard to understand, that people will put stuff like this where a tragedy took place, but never think about giving money or food to a food pantry, so a kid will not go hungry.
Originally Posted by ptquilts
I will join you in getting tarred and feathered for this, bear, but why whenever there is a tragedy involving kids, people end up sticking stuffed animals on a chain link fence somewhere?

I always think, gee there are kids in foster care/hospitals who would like those stuffies...
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM

The lady in the next apt. to mine left a message on my door, that she was willing to make tamales in pork or chicken for the price of $13 dozen to help pay her brothers funeral expenses. I am vegetarian, so will donate $20 to help them. We should all help one another when we can.
IdahoSandy