Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - - >

At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - -

At the risk of getting tarred and feathered - -

Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I have fabric & time, but very few dollars. :roll:
ditto
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM

ditto
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM

me too
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM

I would agree with those who are concerned that money doesn't really get to the needs - or enough of it. I understand there are costs in getting supplies to victims, but there are crooks in so many of these things. I have considered trying to find an address of some random person in a disaster area and sending my money to them directly with a note asking them to use it for themselves or others in need that they know. Couldn't figure out who had a house standing when I first though of it during Katrina...the thought came back during the floods this year too.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM

I could not agree more with the following post. We should give to help the recipient not to make us feel good. It should not be about me, but the person in need.

I think this thread really gets to the heart of the whole charity/gift giving thing - is it about the giver or the recipient? I remember after Katrina, people wanted to send food, blankets, clothes, whatever, and the agencies involved just needed cash.
Someone else said in another thread, it takes a lot of work and manhours to sort non-cash donations and get them to the right people. In a giant disaster that is impractical.

Now on a smaller scale, if someone local lost their home, or whatever, a handmade quilt would be a nice donation, once they are set up in a new place.

"I think some times the giver wants to give for their own reasons and does not think of the recipient. Like when the Marines or Sal. Army collects toys at Christmas, they ask for new toys. You always hear some (Grinch) asking, Well why can't I donate my kids' used toys?

edited to add - I get what people are saying about sending money and you don't know where it goes. CharityNavigator website is very good for finding out this info. And NEVER give to anyone who calls you on the phone. Only give to charities you are very familiar with."

(I did not know how to get what I copied to show as being copied/quoted.)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm with you, I am not a prolific enough quilter to keep up with giving quilts away.
When we make a donation in the even of a disaster we usually research who gives the most to the charity, the info is required and available online. For an international disaster I usually like to donate to Doctors Without Borders. I appreciate that the folks who truly deliver the care are volunteers.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I would rather buy the items needed and give them. Rather than handing someone a 20 dollar bill. Because usually it will go for booze, smokes or drugs rather than food or necessary things.
That is kind of unfair to assume that all of those in need or who are homeless are drug addicts or alchoholics. Volunteer at a homeless shelter in your area. I say there but for the grace of God....
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 PM

In the world today, we have to make food drops several times in starving areas to make sure more than just the black marketeers get some. I won't donate cash ever again after Katrina. I gave to the Red Cross, only to see them spend the next couple years building brand new fancy offices all over this country! Once burned, twice shy!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Making quilts is therapy for me. Every aspect of the quilting process is somehow soothing for me. I am able to think, concentrate and put lots of love into what I am making. I can give money and not get the same satisfaction out of it. My money may not reached the intended and maybe my quilt won't either but eventually someone will benefit from it. They will use something that made me feel good about making.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 PM

I agree. When you find out that the money doesn't reach people but pays for "executive" costs- it really urks you. I have told the humane society-use the money I send but don't send me calenders/tshirts!!that is not what I donate the money for. Sometimes I think I should just order dog or cat food and send it instead. :|