Thank yous

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Made two baby quilts this summer, received a very nice thank you note from one and have not heard a word from the other. Guess who I would make another quilt for!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 AM

When I was a child we were not permitted to use a gift until a thank you was written. It was considered to be disrespectful of the other person. So was being late but that is a whole other story. I taught my children to do the same.
Accepting a lack of manners on some else's part is enabling and is the reason it becomes more prominent. It would be the last time they got a gift from me, especially a gift that took hours of time and effort to produce. If ever asked about it I would politely mention the reason for no more presents. I would accept that I wasn't going to get thank yous from them but I wouldn't continue to give gifts that weren't acknowledged at least by phone or email. If you allow people to disrespect you they will continue to do so. Ann in TN
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm lucky to get any thanks at all, with or without pics...
Still waiting for thanks from niece for gifts for her wedding...9 years ago. Yeah, I got over it, and won't be making her any more quilts either
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dragonfly south
Does anyone have problems with thank yous? I make wedding quilts for my family and I request a picture of them with the quilt that I send so that I'll have a picture record. Am I asking too much or should I "get over it" like my husband says. Do you think I am too sensitive? When a baby comes, they expect a quilt.
I know that I'm going to make some people upset but - people are not teaching manners now. I was taught to sent a thank you (in whatever form) went I received a gift. When they say something about not getting a baby quilt simple say you didn't know they wanted a quilt because the wedding quilt wasn't acknowledged. OK now you can yell at me. Sorry!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

I don't think it's a matter of expecting it, to me it's just the right thing to do. Making quilts is not cheap and the thought and time that goes into putting one together is very timely. If I take that much time and thought to do that for someone then I don't think it's asking to much for a simple thank you. I would never say anything to them about it but to me it's jus common courtesy.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Seems like the common courtesy is becoming less common. I don't even expect a handwritten note. Email would do. Something!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

And as for me, that would be the last quilt they got from me expected or not.
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Seems like the common courtesy is becoming less common. I don't even expect a handwritten note. Email would do. Something!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM

I would say take a picture before you send it. I wouldn't count on the person you gift it to, to be responsible for getting you a picture. I would take the picture and put a note on its back so you will know who you gifted it to and for what.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sguillot
And as for me, that would be the last quilt they got from me expected or not.
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I totally agree which is how I operate these days.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I admit thank yous for presents are becoming a thing of the past, unfortunately. If you are there when they open the gift, then take a picture right away, otherwise, take a picture before you send the quilt. I'm guilty of forgetting to take pictures of quilts that are sent away and then I don't have a picture of that particular quilt to put in my quilt album. We need to teach the next generation to say thank you, regardless of what the "norm" is.