Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever sold a quilt? >
  • Have you ever sold a quilt?

• Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 AM
    Power Poster

lots of them- they range in price from $125 to over a thousand- it depends on the quilt-the design-the size- the materials- and of course the work.
    one summer the 'adult kids' and i made about 45 beach/picnic quilts---we sold all of them! $175 each by the time the season ended we were so tired of making them!
    too bad we didn't keep one for each of us---'cause now the kids would like one for themselves- but want me to make it for them---and i really don't want to--i dislike production sewing/quilting
    Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 AM

I sold out at my last show. Lap quilts 250., large laps 300./450. No bed sized do I take to shows. Small baby quilts 150. Did a small show with the leftovers I didn't take to the big show. Marked them all 50% lower and did not sell any. Took them to the next big show marked them at my reg. Prices and sold all of them. Showed me if I priced them too low, people figured they were not good. Now I keep my prices high and maybe knock off 50. If they buy two.
    Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    Made one for a "friend?" she paid me $20.00 cause she could buy one at Walmart for that Sold another to a co worker for $120.00 she bought the fabric. Hand Quilted backed and put batting in another for $70.00. All were hand Quilted.
    I am hoping these were small quilts, not bed-size.
    Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 AM

Don't think I could sell one that I made as I become too attached to them. Lots of my sweat goes into one.
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 AM

I have sold some and usually double the price of materials; sometimes add a bit extra if it was a time consuming pattern. If I use a commercial pattern, I don't advertise as I can never really understand if you can or can't sell something and don't want the "quilt police" or worse to come knocking at my door.
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 AM

I get $100 for a baby quilt and $300-400 for a queen size. I have made Tee shirt quilts that I charged $275 just for the labor
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 AM

but I give away much more of then than I sell, I gave 15 just last week to a Nun friend of mine
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
    I made a quilt a few months ago and posted it on Facebook for my friends and family to see. My aunt saw it and wanted it. She sent me a check for $200.00! I was happy with that.

I'm currently making a Friendship Star for my cousin to give his sister for christmas. I told him it would probably be under $200 but looks like I underestimated. oh well, it's family
    Is the 200.00 inc. everything used or just the actual sewing?
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
    I get $100 for a baby quilt and $300-400 for a queen size. I have made Tee shirt quilts that I charged $275 just for the labor
    I'm in the wrong business then. I was asked to make a t-shirt quilt by a friend who's husband pd for it as her b-day gift. We know each other so I chgd her for all products used, it was so hard to decide cuz this was the first time I had done it. She handed me a 100.00 but I didn't have the heart to say I needed more, learned my lesson . Living in a sml town people won't pay the price. Any advice is appreciated. :cry:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-260034.jpe  
    Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 AM

I just don't get the "double the cost of your materials" line of thinking. I am trying to picture a carpenter building you a nice bookcase and just charging you twice the cost of the wood.
    How about an artist selling you a painting for twice the costs of the paint and canvas? Ain't gonna happen!!
    Why do we sell ourselves so cheap? Isn't our time and more importantly, our talent, worth more than that?

What if you made a quilt where the materials cost you $50 but it took you 200 hours to make it? Do you really want to work for 25 cents an hour?

I think part of the problem is that we as women are "programmed" (more so than men) to "be nice" and want everyone to like us. I ran into this when I was selling at a flea market. I found I wanted people to be happy with the prices I was giving them. Hey, what about me being happy?! It's hard to overcome. I fight against it myself.