Have you ever sold a quilt? >

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I made several of these:

I sold them for $125 each. I could sell more but got tired of making then. I made them to sell for the children's hospital.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2204-crafts.aspx
interesting, I though ALL major pattern companies has explicit Copyrights on their patterns and do not allow you to produce the items for resale?
Not true. Rules are not part of the copyright law. Any product can have suggested rules to follow if you purchase the item. My neighbor is an attorney whose firm handles some copyright cases for a publication company.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Copywright law applies to the pattern. That is a fact, however if it is one that is published and used often such as Ohio Star it is for public use. I have a copywright on books that I wrote. The law applies to things such as songs, patterns published in a book that are origional in origion. McCall's has an item this month about that. Make sure if you copy someone else's idea to ask them first. That is courtesy, you don't want the US. Marshals showing up if someone complains. However your choice of fabric for a particular piece is your design.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM

It would be a different story if you were to, for example, download one of my photos and print it on fabric, then make anything out of it. THen you would be breaking the copyright law, because you took my photo. Or if you made copies of a book, photo, pattern, etc and sold those.

Just be careful singing Happy Birthday, lol. Those people were touchy. Lol Lol Lol
Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM

I sold a Card Tricks quilt for 250 dollars
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM

I've made several to be sold for fund raisers. Sometimes they make a lot of money and sometimes they don't. I don't feel bad that way as I am not getting the money and knowing that I'm doing it for a good cause makes me feel good.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 AM

You are right about the photo and when I had my book published I had to choose a photo of my own for them to print. Even though I had a photo from an event on cancer it was the photographer's picture.