Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever sold a quilt? >

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Yes, several, and for not enough money based on the work that went into them! I won't underprice myself again....
I agree. I've sold dozens of quilts in the past and the pricing has been below the labor and cost of making the quilt. Even if it's a custom request.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM

I sold a king size commision quilt to a customer I always figure my labor and then add on the cost of fabric and thread and such... I also made a wall hanging the quilt ened up being close to 900 with about 200 of it being fabric and batting the wall hanging was almost 200 75 being the supplies (which I actully hav lots left over)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-260256.jpe  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM

I do a lot of commissions, and I charge a fair price: 2-3 times the cost of the supplies to make it. I also do a lot of quilts for the needy and I've done a lot "just for comfort" quilts. I am in the process of making a double wedding ring and it's going to be expensive. The buyer already knows and has agreed to the price...even before I said I'd do it.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have bartered, sold and done quilts on commission. Where I live, you don't make minimum wage. The highest I got was $1200 plus fabrics (king sized). I have, however, made great friends and a good quilting rep locally this way.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Do you have a picture or name of the beach quilt you and the adult kids made? Sounds interesting... something I might like to do. Better than the picture would be the link to the pattern.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
lots of them- they range in price from $125 to over a thousand- it depends on the quilt-the design-the size- the materials- and of course the work.
one summer the 'adult kids' and i made about 45 beach/picnic quilts---we sold all of them! $175 each by the time the season ended we were so tired of making them!
too bad we didn't keep one for each of us---'cause now the kids would like one for themselves- but want me to make it for them---and i really don't want to--i dislike production sewing/quilting
I replied but it went into a separate post. Do you have the pattern or link to the pattern for these beach/picnic quilts? That sounds like something I might like to do for some of my family. Do you have a picture?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I triple the present day cost of fabric, add in batting, quilting by longarmer, embellishments, etc. I toss in a few $ for thread. I do not consider that perhaps I bought the fabric on sale, but rather how much it would cost me to replace it. Right now that is $10/yard. So I charge $30/yard.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM

I made a T shirt quilt for a co-worker of my grand daughter. I told her the least it would be is $150. She was so happy with it she paid me $200. For all the work involved, I don't think that was too much.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM

yes I have sold several..I made one quilt for a captain on a tug boat that I sold for 450.00. Another captain saw it and said he would give me 1500.00 for one.. that's my current project.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Interesting. I crocheted very fancy angels. The crochet thread was not the cheap, thin stuff usually found at Walmart, but a nice quality brand. But I did not sell these angels cheaply, and no one balked at my prices. I never offered to sell one for less either.

I suppose it is different when you get up into something the size of a quilt, but if I am going to spend my time and effort on something someone asked me to make for pay, and I do a quality job,...then I expect them to pay my price.

I think as a whole, we all sell ourselves too cheaply to start with. Handmades are not less valuable. They are MORE valuable. JMO