Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever sold a quilt? >

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Chris
Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I made a quilt a few months ago and posted it on Facebook for my friends and family to see. My aunt saw it and wanted it. She sent me a check for $200.00! I was happy with that.

I'm currently making a Friendship Star for my cousin to give his sister for christmas. I told him it would probably be under $200 but looks like I underestimated. oh well, it's family
Is the 200.00 inc. everything used or just the actual sewing?

I don't make my quilts to sell. I would have given it to her, but she sent me a check for 200.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM

To make things easy, I charge $20 an hour. Just sold a commission piece with 80 hours of work. It is for a building dedication for a former state legislator (deceased).

Most of my pieces are given away
Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 AM

The formula I use to sell my work is three times the retail material cost just in case some one wants to order a second one I'm covered and additional fee for any work that is custom like crystals, embroidery, etc. Moosegirl
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
If so, how much did it sell for? Just wondering how much such a labor of love sells for :)
For full/queen size I sold for between $350 and $500.00 depending upon intricacy.

:)

This was back in the 80's, I would sell for much more today.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM

I made a queen-sized and a throw out of Harley T-shirts. I invested $135 in backing, etc - he paid me $500.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this and felt I was fairly paid - I had not set a price, he gave me what he felt it meant to him.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I have sold lots and lots of quilted items, especially at our church Harvest Fair. However, for some reason, even though this is to raise money for the church, people feel that it's donated so they don't have to pay much. I priced the table runners at $25, way too little, raised it to $35 last year, wall hangings $35-40, baby quilts $45 -50, and usually people make a beeline for my quilted items. I've also made a dozen or so raffle quilts for the fair, and one or 2 of my quilts raised over $1,000 to $1,200. This is just a guideline for our community, but there is always someone that wants to get it for nothing, but I stand firm now, but I didn't always. Hope this helps a tiny bit.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Just sold my very first one to my sister, $250. I used mostly from my stash, got replacement cost for the quilting (done by someone else) and a little bit more. I am glad this one stays in the family as some of the material was from my aunt. I have posted previous pics during its progress on here. I have a pic of it on a cherry 4 poster bed I may post it again later.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM

No. I've had people ask to buy my quilts but I know that when they ask for a price, and I give them a fair price, they are going to back off and be embarrassed--and I will be annoyed. It's easier just to say, "They're not for sale."
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM

I think we should quote real prices so people get a better idea what these things are actually worth. I think anyone who is a sewing and has a handle on fabric prices is not the least bit surprised. The rest who shop at Walmart or where ever, just don't have a clue.
MK
Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Last one I sold was for 350.00 - it was a 50th anniversary quilt for a man to give his wife. It was a very intricate quilt, took me 6 months to make. Queen size.