Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iPad and Quilting >

iPad and Quilting

iPad and Quilting

Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM

I have an Ipad...its ok....but not totally in love with it...I much rather use my Mac laptop when surfing or on this brd. I down load books but I like the hardcopies better. 1.00 for a hardcover and I can pass it along to my daughter inlaw to read. When on the plane we have to turn off the ipad when taking off and landing...I don't have to turn off my book. I am a huge homebody...maybe if I was out more or traveling more I would be more into it.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
I use my iPad for a bit of everything. Quilt board, word processing, spreadsheets and lots of photos Love the app I got to help me lose 30 lbs and my DH 20 lbs.

I have an I pad and if theres an app to loose 20 lb., I want it!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Love my iPad2 and all it does. I have one or 2 quilting apps, love the quilting calculator. hoping they come out with more ebooks on quilting soon. I use my iPad for almost everything now. But I still prefer typing on my keyboard
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks. Maybe Santa will bring me an iPad.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
I have an I pad and if theres an app to loose 20 lb., I want it!!!
I use the Nutrition Menu from the app store. Started end of May. Be sure to watch not just calories but fats and chlorestrol too. My DH labs were lower than we'd ever seen them - with NO meds!!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
I saw a quilting book re: jelly roll patterns that I wanted to buy. I looked it up on Amazon and found it was $24.99, or I could get a used one for $19.99, or I could get one for my kindle app on my iPad for $6.97. Guess which one I bought????
I love using my iPad as storage space for all my quilting patterns - quilts, tablerunners, wallhanging, etc. This way I always have the information I need regarding amount of fabric, etc.
I love my iPad!!!!
What do you use your iPad for?
I use mine like you mentioned. I usually save my class lessons or patterns as a PDF and save it on my iPad.

Tonight I downloaded an instruction book for my new Babylock upgrade and was able to read it while figuring out the directions at the machine.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
I use mine for storing pictures and patterns also. But I can't figure out how to upload OR print from it! Hate that.
In order to print, you have to have a wireless printer.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by bisbetica View Post
Love my iPad2 and all it does. I have one or 2 quilting apps, love the quilting calculator. hoping they come out with more ebooks on quilting soon. I use my iPad for almost everything now. But I still prefer typing on my keyboard
You can buy a keyboard and docking station for your ipad2, but it's a little pricey. Let's see, what do I do on my iPad. Check out books from the library. Read kindle books. Read nook books. Listen to audiobooks. Listen to Pandora music. Play games. Store quilt patterns in iBooks. Reference patterns at the fabric store. Use the quilting calculator. Read this board. Post to this board if it doesn't involve uploading a photo.. Crafty1, have you found that app yet? Store all my favorite online stores on my desktop as icons. Watch TV(I just leave the iPad off to the side and really listen to TV).
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Karenowc View Post
In order to print, you have to have a wireless printer.
I DO have a wireless printer. Drives me crazy! I think maybe because it's the first iPad? Same with the upload problems Crafty1. I could NOT get that to work! I think I must be defective!! Lol

And those that hate the typing as much as I do... Lol... There is a keyboard. I don't have it (yet?) but it's funny. I ca always tell when someone's typing from an iPad when the sentences have an n in the middle of two words. Haha.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM

For those who do not have a Kindle, iPad or other such device, you can download free Kindle software to read Kindle books on your regular computer. You then have access to Kindle books.

With that said, I find Amazon's interface for managing those books to be archaic. You must deal with each one separately and wait for page updates before you can process another book. I realize that there stuff going on behind the scenes, but those could be done in a batch, rather than making me sit and wait. Sorry for venting, but I got frustrated with this the other day.