Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand >
  • Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand

• Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM

I am so glad to have run across your tute...always wondered how they went together. thanks
    Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 PM

okay ladies i started mine 6 weeks ago and im now hand quilting it. i can't believe that it went together as fast as it did! quilting is great in the eves when it's still chilly outside, and i put a super soft flannel on the back so it would be great to snuggle to. mine is 18 rows of 22 long. i got a wooden 1" quilting hoop from Hancocks dirt cheap and so away i go! still recovering from surgery but this makes it go just a bit better! will post pics when i am done but it wont be anywhere NEAR as good as #1's!
    Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 AM

I have the template and a box of dot scraps. I think this iwll make a beautiful quilt in all dots.....Thanks for posting it.
    I will be handquilting as well and hand piecing. A great project to be able to take along places.......
    Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by NannieBS
    i AM A NEWBIE TO QUILTING SOOO CAN U EXPLAIN In MORE DETAIL AND WHAT IS AN APPLE CORE QUILT? THANKS
    I'm sorry I missed this post. the apple core or Double Bit Ax is the name of the piece that you use to make the block or quilt. It gets its name because of its shape. One end of it will fit precisely into the curve of the other piece. An apple core quilt is a quilt that is made with just this one piece.
    Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

I dearly love charm quilts. The applecore pattern is a Charm quilt. It is said that a young lady who wanted to be married would have 999 different pieces of fabric (not one fabric alike) and the last piece (to make 1000) would be brought to her by her soon to be husband!
    Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM

I can't wait to see it and glad you are doing well after your surgery.
    Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM

holy cow! thats so many blocks! mine is 374 and it is huge! i realized last nite i was about 3/4 the way done with it. and in less than 8 weeks start to "right now". i am so pleased! i need to find other little blocks to play with. i have thoroughly enjoyed doing this. i only quilt on it at nite while im watching tv and pending on what is on is how much i actually get done! it is very relaxing to have something to fiddle with. i have found that i have a hard time letting my hands stay idle for too long! thankfully i am going to be able to get outside alot this summer and im finding out its pretty warm under that quilt at nite now to work on! might best be a fall/winter/spring project! but i can't stop now until it is done! LOL guess ive engaged mouth a bit too long here! will post picture when done and thanks for giving me my two seconds on the soapbox! a year ago someone told me i would have to try to hand sew and i laughed them out of town. so much for never say never! someday me and #1 are goin to end up behind the woodshed......LOL its all her fault i tell my hubby!
    Originally Posted by Pam Riggs
    I dearly love charm quilts. The applecore pattern is a Charm quilt. It is said that a young lady who wanted to be married would have 999 different pieces of fabric (not one fabric alike) and the last piece (to make 1000) would be brought to her by her soon to be husband!
    Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb
    holy cow! thats so many blocks! mine is 374 and it is huge! i realized last nite i was about 3/4 the way done with it. and in less than 8 weeks start to "right now". i am so pleased! i need to find other little blocks to play with. i have thoroughly enjoyed doing this. i only quilt on it at nite while im watching tv and pending on what is on is how much i actually get done! it is very relaxing to have something to fiddle with. i have found that i have a hard time letting my hands stay idle for too long! thankfully i am going to be able to get outside alot this summer and im finding out its pretty warm under that quilt at nite now to work on! might best be a fall/winter/spring project! but i can't stop now until it is done! LOL guess ive engaged mouth a bit too long here! will post picture when done and thanks for giving me my two seconds on the soapbox! a year ago someone told me i would have to try to hand sew and i laughed them out of town. so much for never say never! someday me and #1 are goin to end up behind the woodshed......LOL its all her fault i tell my hubby!
    Behave or I'm going to give you a cookie!!!
    Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried
    I love the apple core!
    Here is a link to the tutorial for making whatever size template you want.
    http://thimbleanna.com/?p=808
    Thanks for this link. I've printed (don't know how to SAVE -- don't ask) the awesome directions and pictures.
    Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM

i read your post Gail and thought i would post a pic here of my quilt in case you didn't see it in the pic section to keep it all together. try it sometime! it is going to be my fave for years to come![ATTACH=CONFIG]338742[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg