Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale? >
  • Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

• Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 AM

I haven't been to one, but I'd sure be on your doorstep! I think it's a great idea.
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
    Swap Hosts

I've been to quilter's estate sales and have gotten some great buys. I've paid between 50 cents to a dollar for rulers and templates. Fabric snippets were dirt cheap, but I did pay $5/yd for some batiks I couldn't pass up. Another place to sell your fabric is Etsy where you won't have the restrictions you have here. The fees are much lower than eBay. Good luck!
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 AM

I don't think you would get a fair price at a yard sale. People come to yard sales for a 'deal'
    I don't believe people would want to pay the real value of the fabric, maybe $2.00 a yard.
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 AM

Every year a group of quilters have an overstock sale. The fabrice is priced from $3 to $5 a yard. They just had one this last weekend and had a great turnout. With the price of fabric they did sell alot. I am having a garage sale this summer to down size my house and have alot of fabric for sale also. Hopefully it will sell just as good as these girls. I figure if people don't want to pay the price I can always donate to charity (church groups, quilters for homeless, etc) get a receipt and deduct on my taxes
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 AM

I agree with Fatquarters. Sell it on the board.
    I had to downsize 2-3 years ago, due to a medical move I had a garage some moving sale, was selling fabic for 1.00 yard. Most was Joann's. Sold very little. I also sold quilting / sewing crafting magazines .10 each or 20 for 1.00 hardly sold. Finally last day one woman bought 15.00 worth of mag and also had 17.00 worth of fabric gave it all to her for 20.00. It had to go.
    Good luck on your choice.
    Dawn227 Rochester NY
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM

I just forgot to mention that one of our bigger guilds had a "garage sale" in a huge room during their quilt show. They priced all the material, from old to fabulous Japanese fabric, at $2 a yard. They had probably between 500-1000 yards. It looked like they got the stock from a business that went out of business.
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM

My experience with selling fabric at a yard sale is that I literally gave it away. I had the best luck selling on Overstock.com a few years back. I sold by the yard in 10 yard boxes or larger. I haven't done that since since I really don't want to go through all the hassle of selling the fabric again. I would suggest putting it on here in larger quantities and at a really good price. It seems as though the fabrics posted here are selling very well. And since, you are dealing with quilters, you know our buyers. Craigslist didn't work either. They thought I was a store and had lots of fabric laying around.
    Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 AM

(Before anyone mentions this, I'm talking with my accountant and lawyer about the legal side of things. I'm aware I will need to pay taxes on any money I make

There are no taxes to be paid...unless you make a profit. No different than a yard/garage sale where you sell your clothes, excess home stuff.

You may think about donating fabric to a local Church. Cost of fabric may be considered a donation...check with your tax person.
    Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM

If we had a general idea of your location we might be able to let you know if any of our guilds were interested. One of my guilds has a show this fall. We welcome vendors. That might be one of your best options to sell your stash. I think our guild rents a vendor space for about $50. The show lasts three days and the guild members are always the best customers of the vendors. While I and most of my friends usually go to at least two national shows each year we do the majority of our vendor shopping at local quilt guild shows. Both of my guilds are always looking for a vendor, speaker, demonstrator or lecturer for their regular meetings. If nothing else you could come and set up shop at a guild meeting. As long as we knew that you were coming our membership would be sure and bring their purses.
    Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 AM

I have read the responses so far and will agree that a yard sale will reap the least amount of money. I have been to a couple of Quilter's Sales and have paid about 10-15 cents on the dollar of what they were worth. Two were estates where I was quoted a lot price because they were adamant about "getting it out of here so someone else can use it". Would I have paid more? Certainly for some of the items. The two quilters I met with from a Craigslist posting just said they wanted it out of their house. That is why I think you will get more from the QB members or as suggested by others, quilt guild members.

Assuming you meet the criteris to post on the QB:
    Since you can do 15 lots on QB, why not group some of the yard pieces in 5 coordinating sets and sell them that way. (depending on what you have at that pace you have sent out 75 different yards of fabric.) Please make sure the selvages are showing so no one questions that. Then the next week, do your pieces with lots of yardage. Or sell by color lots. Surprise us. So if you post once a week, you should knock them out before March.

Good luck with this.

Last edited by AUQuilter; 01-18-2012 at 06:39 AM.