Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Surprised >

Really Surprised

Really Surprised

Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Not all small business owners are niced to their employees, even LQS owners.
I work for a small business and my boss recently let one person go because we couldn't afford the position anymore. We all took pay cuts a few years ago. Then about a month after the other girl was let go he hired his daughter for a made up position.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM

i wish our Walmart was that way, it is a find someone to help you ,and the little bit of fabric they have is $7.97 a yard nothing cheaper the whole dept takes one small isle
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 AM

Always said you shop for quality wherever you can find it, not just in 'quilting stores' or name brand fabrics. I'm glad you found fabric you like. Keep quilting.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I use to buy fabric from Wal-mart but when they built the super store here they did away with the fabric and have what they call a craft center. It is one roll of junk.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I am glad to have the option to shop at Walmart for fabrics. You need to be sellective but I have found some good fabric and gotten some deals. I do think it is not LQS overall but since the prices went up and the economy changed I definitely am using some. If I want to keep quilting I need to look at other options and those include using my stash, buying "used" fabric from others off this board and Walmart.The LQS here are very expensive at $11 and up. Even Walmart now has $8-10 fabrics.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM

my quilting friends and i take a few hours about once every 6 weeks or so to drive to a walmart about 40 min from our house to buy fabric sometimes we just get a little sometimes its alot. we have a walmart 10 min away that has less stuff what they do have is jumbled up where you cant find anything and you can wait up to 30 min to be served
there never seems to be anyone on duty. the last time we went to the other walmart the store mgr herself waited on us as she was close by and she must have cut 35 -40 yards of fabric for the 3 of us and my friend likes hers cut into 1 yd increments as well and she laughed and joked with us and chatted like wed known her forever and we had never met her although the others ladies who work the dept are really nice too, she was happy to have us drive 40 min to shop in her store. we looked carefully at our fabric we paid anywhere from 1.50 to 5.97 a yd and were thrilled with our fabric. i sometimes buy emergency stuff (quilting wise) at our store but i have learned if i need service or more than a couple yards to make the drive. i hope i can continue to do so its going to depend on exactly how high gas gets.
carla m
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't buy much fabric at Walmart and yesterday confirmed why. I needed a piece of off white cotton to embroider a quote on, and both pieces of fabric I had purchased at Walmart months ago were defective. Course it is my fault I didn't check out each piece when I got home; I just cut off the tag they attach to each piece, folded it my way, and stashed it in the cupboard. Most of the pattern on each piece along the salvage was gone or mottled, and the tan background in some spots was darker than the rest of the fabric. I don't know how I missed seeing this when she cut it or I folded it. So bummed I placed them in the pile of scraps (these are 2 yd pieces) for doll quilt backings or stuffing new dog beds. Went to LQS and purchased good Kona fabric for my project. Our Walmart prices have gone up, but they do have a better selection now too. Still prefer my LQS.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM

"My" Walmart in Myrtle Beach is very good, too. No complaints at all, except that they don't staff the fabric/craft area after approximately 8:00 PM. I can work around that...