Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart - good and bad news >

Walmart - good and bad news

Walmart - good and bad news

Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 AM

My grandmother and great grandmother rarely used new fabric in their quilts.(Think Great Depression) I am looking at 5 of those quilts right now. Three were made from reclaimed fabric (old shirts, etc). I can see pieces of my dresses from elementary school days in one! The other two are "matchy-matchy" so I know they were made for a special event. Love the scrappies and admire the craftsmanship on the "matchies."

Last edited by coopah; 03-01-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Left out a letter!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 AM

I am so bummed that our walmart does not have fabric. I keep hoping that maybe they will get it back but haven't seen a sign so far.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 AM

I paid $11.75 the other day at my LQS. I have a fairly decent stash and am not quite worried about it yet... I might be making smaller quilts.

Anita
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM

I mostly buy thru the net now. I buy from Connecting threads, Hankcock, Thousand of Bolts, and when they have a sale. Have not found anything good at my Walmart. I need the best buys since I am making quilts for my oncologist's chemo patients. I have some scraps donated by friends, but I still need larger pieces for backing and getting those little scraps together, which is the most time consuming. Good thing is that I am finally putting my stash to good use.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
The way fabric prices are going up some of us are going to be rethinking how we buy fabric. As for me no more buying fabric just because I like it. SOB, SNIFFLE, CRY, Now I only buy when I need it and shop my stash first. Fixed incomes only stretch so far before they snap back and hit you in the face, LOL OH well it is still fun to look.
I am at the same point. I went to the Mid Atlantic Quilt show and didn't buy one piece of fabric. It was a little difficult but I was still folding and organizing my stash, so that helped. But there was one I almost caved on. A handdyed sateen. it was de-lish !
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Our Walmart has the "new" fabric in at $8-$10/yard. They also have some at $5/yd. I guess our days of finding good fabric and cheaper prices at WM are over.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
The way fabric prices are going up some of us are going to be rethinking how we buy fabric. As for me no more buying fabric just because I like it. SOB, SNIFFLE, CRY, Now I only buy when I need it and shop my stash first. Fixed incomes only stretch so far before they snap back and hit you in the face, LOL OH well it is still fun to look.
Me too! But after organizing my fabric (still in the process after 400 comic boards) I too need to shop my stash. I didn't realize how many whites, creams and tan tone on tones I have. I definitely don't need to purchase any more of those!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 AM

When I heard that prices were going to go WAY up, I bought like crazy - 1 1/2 years ago!! Now, like most of you, I shop my stash and close my eyes to anything else unless it's a MUST have...the tears start rather quickly some days
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM

I knew I had a stash for a reason.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 AM

The fabric prices have gone up because of greed. Most price increases are because of greed. Have you noticed that when they say there is a frost in Florida and the oranges might not be so good--the stores raise their prices on their present stock of OJ. Most of the fabrics are coming from China and China is looking to grab as much money from the Americans as possible.
You can't really blame the fabric stores for raising their prices because they are paying more for the same fabric. It is when you find the same fabric in 3 stores and one is 11.00 yd and one is 9.50 yd and one is 5.00 yard. Sorry, I do not have any love for a store that is going to overcharge me. I will take my business online.