Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM

Beautiful blocks everyone! Since I just got my book I am going to start with these two. I have my fabrics picked and I will post my pictures as soon as I have them done. Will be paper piecing for sure!
Thanks for the inspiration everyone.
Hugs
April
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Love all the beautiful blocks. Great work gals! Here are mine for this month.
Attached Thumbnails cs.jpg   ct.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Ooh, Jeanie, I love your blocks. I'm liking polka dots more and more and your little Christmas trees are so cute. What a great job you did on both.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

What's there to say? ... you're all saying a lot of what I've been thinking as I look at the blocks!

MiraB ... It seems we are all in love with your fabrics ... which makes us automatically love the results. I too thought the green background was making it's debut!

WendiQ ... I "saw" Strawberry Shortcake before I read JanRN's comment! I can't wait for strawberry season every year!! The winter ones we get from California (sorry JeanieG) just don't compare to locally grown ones. June usually for berries ... who knows this year? You've got me thinking, as I do have some strawberry fabric and this might be a good place for it!

DDamsel ... so fresh and crisp with an antiquated look. Particularly for your Cake Stand. Perhaps it's some antique depression glass?

LovingIz ... we're all anxious for you to gallop in with your debut!

JeanieG ... I think you just took the FC PP Cake ... with all those FC trees and presents in your Christmas Tree!! What a Celebration Cake!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
JeanieG ... I think you just took the FC PP Cake ... with all those FC trees and presents in your Christmas Tree!! What a Celebration Cake!!
I used templates for these two blocks. I have not figured out how to cut the fabric for PP. I seem to waste a lot of fabric, and I hate that. Anyone have tips on how big to cut the PP pieces, I usually just use a medium size piece of fabric and lay it on the other piece. I've never had a class on this and just watched the videos and charged ahead!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 AM

Oh JeanieG, what beautiful blocks! I love the polka dots and the fabric you used for the tree. Great fussy cutting!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I used templates for these two blocks. I have not figured out how to cut the fabric for PP. I seem to waste a lot of fabric, and I hate that. Anyone have tips on how big to cut the PP pieces, I usually just use a medium size piece of fabric and lay it on the other piece. I've never had a class on this and just watched the videos and charged ahead!
For the better part, I don't pre-cut the PP fabrics, and just work with the whole piece of fabric.

I confess to the wasting of fabric! However, I do keep any pieces for crumb work!!

However, I also rationalize that the wastage is well worth it ... for the pointy points and perfection that comes as a result!

When FC+PP ... I cut a window in the line drawing, and frame it over for the fabric, then mark the outside edge, usually just at the corners (which would become the sewing line). Those new Frixxion markers have been heros for this! Then depending on the placement of the piece, I may cut it the precise size needed, or oversized. And then insert it in the PP was needed.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 AM

JeanieG.....what a fun festive Christmas Tree.....Great fussy cutting......looks like a lot of presents and Holiday Cheer!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
JeanieG.....as for saving fabric while doing the PPing......I use the Carol Doaks method and don't waste a piece.....I won't try to explain it. It's really easy and the only way I will do it anymore. I don't know if the Library has any books, but if you can get your hands on one (I'm a visual person and need pictures)it would help.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM

....I use the Carol Doaks method and don't waste a piece.....

Wendiq--do you recommend the DVD or the "show me how to pp" book?

Just so everyone knows there are a few used ones on amazon and ebay...

Carrie