Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique >

Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm surprised some of you seem offended by the information I posted. Chemical sensitivity and allergies to dryer sheets are not an "opinion", and I didn't make any "rule" about using them. I simply asked folks to think about not using them for the health of others. Just because the scent seems gone doesn't mean the risk is gone. As Daylesewblessed mentioned clean white sheets can be found very inexpensively or free through hotels and laundry services, thrift shops, etc. Unwanted fabrics that don't show through can be used as well, or interfacing. I prewash all fabrics before sewing- without dryer sheets. I've seen infants with intractable eczema and rashes, and watched people gasping for breath from asthma attacks. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and again- who would suspect something INSIDE a washed quilt? Just food for thought if you quilt for someone you care about, or are donating quilted items for comfort. The risk is simple to avoid. Please pass this along to other quilters to consider. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the advice. I have major scent--issues and more allergies than I care to comment on. I could not even use the phone books because of the ink. My mom washes her sheets w/bleech as do many folks. I cannot sleep on them or the pillowcases. The scent has me gasping for air. She does not notice but I can. I always carry my own bedding and pillows. So yes scents can be a problem to some of us and others not even know there is a scent. So again thank you for sharing this information. Teresa
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM

Thank you for your post from someone with a chronic breathing disorder!! I never would have thought of this, even with my conditions!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM

I just got out of the hospital and am astyhmatic. I definitely don't need something else to trigger any medical problems.

I can't use dryer sheets for my own laundry, so I don't use it in my quilting. Breathing is such a nice hobby.

If I were given something like that I would be polite and very thankful of the thoughtfulness of the giver. I also would have someone over who so admired it that I knew she would be blessed to have it. After I quilt and have more than enough.

This last is a No - Not Really. I can't even begin to imagine what 'more than enough' could possibly be. Don't want to know either.

ali
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM

I always thought it was okay if the dryer sheets had been washed and dried before use.????
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 AM

Smile

For the quilters who use phone book pages, I have three questions:

1) Does the ink ever transfer or stain the fabric?
2) Does the ink show through light fabrics (assuming you leave the papers attached)?
3) Do you remove the pages before sewing blocks together?

I usually use cheap copy paper or unprinted newsprint (if I can find it), but phone book pages sound good to me. ]
Thanks! :-)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 AM

The whole idea of scents was brought home to me today. The newspaper had a perfume ad and as soon as it came into the house, both my husband and I had serious breathing problems. The paper had eliminated them for a long time and suddenly the ads have returned. I am going to have to cancel my newspaper subscription.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 AM

I'am greatful you posted this.My daughters both have unknown allergies and I use the same soap as I have for years but never did it dawn on me that the stupid dryer sheets could be causing them to break out and thier little noses drip consantly.We are always looking for ways to keep everyone safe I see no harm in some good advice .thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 AM

I have had eczema on my hands and my dermatologist told me years ago to stay away from dryer sheets ---- too many chemicals that are left in the dried clothing and irritating the skin.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 AM

If you have been saving the used dryer sheets, don't throw them out. They are great for dusting you quilting area and will remove static from your machines. I use them on my long arm for this purpose and also dust in the small places on my regular machine. I do not use them in my quilting (applique or string) but I use them for dusting my machines afterwards.