Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 AM

WoW!! You've gotten lots of different people loving lots of different machines. And there lies the problem. We all love our machines because we are all different. You need to find the machine that works for YOU!! Shop around. Sew on lots of machines. Decide what you really want to do with YOUR machine. Do you want embroidery? or just a straight pretty seam that will hold well? I have vintage machines as well as a fancy Viking that does all the fancy stitches. I quilt mostly on the vintage machines. They are all metal (a very important feature) and sew such a beautiful stitch. I taught sewing in public schools for over 30 years and found the 'new' machines were mostly junk..... at least the ones with plastic parts, etc. They didn't withstand the use they got and I was always working on them to keep them sewing.

So, go out with your list of what you want the machine to do and then try lots of different ones. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 AM

I have a Series 8 Bernina 820 machine which I love. In Canada, I paid almost $8,000. for it so it is not cheap. When I checked out why the high price for Berninas, the answer I was given from a lady who has one was "it's whats under the hood". NO plastic on these babies & quality is everywhere. Makes them very heavy though, not one to drag to lessons etc. but love, love it. I also have a Juki TL - 98Q which is a real work horse. The throat is not quite as big as the Bernina but I use it quite a lot also. Nothing fancy with the Juki but I love it too. Sometimes it's very hard to make a decision & besides machines are like shoes, sometimes 1 is just not enough !!!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 AM

I love my old Kenmore, can't buy em like that anymore, weighs about a ton though! All I can say is, Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 AM

I have a two Pfaffs. My main machine is a Creative 4.0 which I absolutely love. I bought this machine when my old Pfaff litteraly blew up, smoke and all. The Creative has a 10 inch throat, love the IDT, thread cutter and numerous other features. My other Pfaff is my 1471. My husband bought this machine for me over 25 years ago. It still sews like a dream. I take it to classes and retreats. It is not light but it is lighter than my Creative. If I had to buy a new machine it would be another Pfaff. I am hooked on Pfaffs.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 AM

Love my Elna Pro Quilting Queen
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM

I'm just cheap. I got a pfaff synchrotronic 1229 at an estate sale for $50 and I hope they bury me with this machine. However, since it's 30 years old, I am not counting on it, so I'm saving up for something larger. I'd like a Sweet 16 but will probably get a Sunshine 16 instead. I have just recently started tracking how many hours I quilt, and I'm going to "start charging myself" $10/hour and that money will be transferred to a savings account just for a machine! I dread the day when my Pfaff needs to be replaced, so I'm hoping it'll be many years from now!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 AM

I have a Juki 98Q. Love it. I piece on it and fmq. I have been using it for 14 years!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:10 AM

I have a Viking Rose as well as several antique machines. I generally do all of my piecing on my 1948 Singer 66. I am also working on a quilt on a 1914 treadle. While I love my Rose, I prefer piecing on the 1948 - I love it's simplicity. I keep the walking foot on the Rose and she does all of my bindings.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:10 AM

I have a Bernina and LOVE her!! Sews like a dream and I have never had to have anything repaired. Just the routine maintanence and away she sews!!

I am looking at buying another one. I am going with Bernina! Not sure that I would by anything else!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM

I agree with the Bernina. I have had an old 830 since the 80's and it's a champion. When I look at sewing machines, I go to Bernina first.