Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending--I don't think so.... >

Mending--I don't think so....

Mending--I don't think so....

Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM

While I'd rather be quilting, I don't mind mending one bit because everytime I mend something for my DH or kids they act like I'm just the cleverest person in the whole world to be able to fix something that they would have just tossed out. I guess they know how to brown-nose me! And weekend after next, I'm going to spend 2 wonderful, fun days doing alterations on prom dresses for underpriviledged girls at Cinderella's Closet. I've done this for the past 5 or 6 years and I wouldn't miss it for anything. Those young ladies can't believe that anyone can sew and transform these beautiful dresses to fit them perfectly. It really stokes my ego.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM

I use the line it's a sewing machine not a mending machine. LOL That being said I do quick repairs on hubbys and my clothes, DD and DGK's are out of state so no need to do any fixing for them.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

I would rather buy new clothes than mend. I'm not the greatest at it and it frustrates me with how it looks. I've made some clothes from scratch and that is easier than mending...lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 AM

I will hem and mend for someone that I love. . I used to sew for myself but I would much rather make quilts than clothes. However I adopted a 85 pound Boxer named Olivia that I am squeezing into a too small coat to go for walks. Bought the fleece will attempt to draft a pattern off the old coat and make it bigger. Poor Olivia they don't make cute clothes for big girls!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 PM

If it can be done on a sewing machine (sometimes by hand too) , I will do it, one way or the other. Kind of like the little engine who could. I see a quilt and look at the pattern and try and figure out how it was made.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
While I'd rather be quilting, I don't mind mending one bit because everytime I mend something for my DH or kids they act like I'm just the cleverest person in the whole world to be able to fix something that they would have just tossed out. I guess they know how to brown-nose me! And weekend after next, I'm going to spend 2 wonderful, fun days doing alterations on prom dresses for underpriviledged girls at Cinderella's Closet. I've done this for the past 5 or 6 years and I wouldn't miss it for anything. Those young ladies can't believe that anyone can sew and transform these beautiful dresses to fit them perfectly. It really stokes my ego.
Good for you Pam, what a great thing. Kids today don't usually get to learn how to sew in school like us oldies did. When in high school my neice was born and I made her Raggdy Ann and Andy and clothes. Mom looked at me and said if you can sew that good I am not sewing for you any more. Now I will attempt anything. And I take after my grandfather and can figure many things out without a pattern and make one like it.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I guess it’s no surprise not to find many clothing menders and alteration/repair sewers on a quilting board. I mend clothing and accessories more than doing quilt work, which so far has only included quilt block piecing.

I’d like to find a forum where folks primarily discuss mending and alterations, but I haven’t bumped into it yet.

CD in Oklahoma
If you find one, let me know. How about we start one. LOL I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
I do a lot of patch, remodel, repair work. If it can be fixed, I'd love to do it, rather than throw it out. I even fix stuff before I donate it to Good Will or St. Vinney's. And I pick up stuff there that I can fix and re-donate!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
However I adopted a 85 pound Boxer named Olivia that I am squeezing into a too small coat to go for walks.
Awww...Olivia is beautiful!!
I can mend but have never liked to do it....not sure why, since I love to sew.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM

"Sideways" I am in love with your fur-baby, I used to breed Boxers many decades ago and I know what wonderful characters and love babies they are, and as for Baby sitters duties they are the best

As far as mending is concerned, about 6 years ago when I moved back down to North Wales to be near my sister she gave me a huge pile of jeans/trousers etc; and said seeing I could sew could I sort them out!

I did one pair of Jeans and delivered them all back to my Sister along with a Toyota cheapy dressmaking machine that I had, and told her.

"You know I use to be a Chef? Well asking a quilter to mend clothes is like asking a Chef to do the washing up!

Never had another request for mending from any of the family! They think I am to posh to mend, they don't know what quilters are.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM

In my sewing days, I would rather construct a garment from scratch than do alterations. We won't even talk about "mending" quilts! Nope, nada, no way!