Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to cry my eyes out :'-( >

I want to cry my eyes out :'-(

I want to cry my eyes out :'-(

Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM

I agree with Quitinghaven #26. Let us know what happens & post pics.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM

The gal I am doing it for appologized for all my trouble and told me to do whatever I feel I need to thank goodness I finished quilting up to the point to where I will unload it and trim the excess backing fabric from the edges and sew those to the bottom to extend the bottom of the backing. That way it will all be the same color and print. Good thing I have red snappers for my frame so I can unload and reload quilts super fast. Uff, yes I shall not let this happen to me again! Thanks everyone for the support
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM

That is very good news indead! Doing a happy dance for you!

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
The gal I am doing it for appologized for all my trouble and told me to do whatever I feel I need to thank goodness I finished quilting up to the point to where I will unload it and trim the excess backing fabric from the edges and sew those to the bottom to extend the bottom of the backing. That way it will all be the same color and print. Good thing I have red snappers for my frame so I can unload and reload quilts super fast. Uff, yes I shall not let this happen to me again! Thanks everyone for the support
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Still haven't found out what "double roll" means.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 AM

put a matching color in the center then use the backing fabric to frame it. We do that then wrap it around to the front and use it as a border
Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Still haven't found out what "double roll" means.
I'm guessing she means to roll the three layers to the bottom to check the sizes after you've loaded them onto the frame, (and before you start any quilting), then roll it all to the top again to begin quilting. (?) Am I right, anyone?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 AM

So I am quilting a quilt for a gal, she made back in like 99 and its super pretty but I am thinking they may not make this backing print anymore for material. Anyway, I knew it was going to be tight as far as her backing size fitting the top..............as I measured and remeasured....agh my greatest fear...I am at the bottom now and the backing is 5inches too short!!!!!!!!!!! I want to die, I emailed her and am praying she has more of that backing laying around her house she can sew on, but with my luck she won't and will have to cut the bottom border shorter...at this point it makes me never want to quilt for someone again...the only other option is take what few inches are left along the edges, trim that off and sew it onto the bottom backing, then reload it and finish quilting....and this was a bear paw queen size pattern that she had me do SID on and it took forever now this!

Has this ever happened to anyone? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :'''''-(
Some of the prettiest backs I've seen have been rethought!!!! Just add a stripe of a complimenting fabric, no biggy. Stop stressing. It'll be pretty and unique.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 AM

Thanks everyone, thankfully the backing edges had sufficent length there is 3.5 extra on each of those so I know I can get the 5 inches I need for the bottom. Just waiting on her to respond to my email to go forward. I hope this never happens again and I have my one time out of the way. I for sure will take pictures of this for others....it really surprised me how much the backing moved though, wow...

If you haven't unloaded the quilt yet, don't until you read this. I did the same thing but when it came to piecing the back, I unrolled the quilt a little, took my sewing machine to the frame on a little table and just pieced it right on the frame. It was a little awkward but way better to me than taking the quilt off the frame. Hope this helps! (and I'm sorry if someone else already suggested this - I haven't read all the posts :-/)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 AM

I have had it happen several time from a friend. She lays her quilts and backs on the bed and measures that way, well when I get them, the quilt top is always at least 6-7 inches larger both ways than the back. She also pieces the back and then it is too small too. I have tried, to explain, and asked for 8-10 inches more that usual, but it still is an issue. The last time she wanted a quilt basted for hand quilting and I sewed an piece of muslin to the bottom of her top, then she could figure out want it needed. At least I have caught her shortness earlier than I use to. Not so much work for me.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM

So I am quilting a quilt for a gal, she made back in like 99 and its super pretty but I am thinking they may not make this backing print anymore for material. Anyway, I knew it was going to be tight as far as her backing size fitting the top..............as I measured and remeasured....agh my greatest fear...I am at the bottom now and the backing is 5inches too short!!!!!!!!!!! I want to die, I emailed her and am praying she has more of that backing laying around her house she can sew on, but with my luck she won't and will have to cut the bottom border shorter...at this point it makes me never want to quilt for someone again...the only other option is take what few inches are left along the edges, trim that off and sew it onto the bottom backing, then reload it and finish quilting....and this was a bear paw queen size pattern that she had me do SID on and it took forever now this!

Has this ever happened to anyone? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :'''''-(
Now would be the time to use a row of bear paw blocks across the backing and have a new model quilt altogether.