Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction! >
  • Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

• Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 AM
    Power Poster

most (non-quilters) do not notice any of what we consider horrible mistakes....unless you choose to point them out they are just considered (design choices) a gift recipient seldom has any idea it is not exactly what you planned it to be- so, instead of pointing out the 'short comings' you *envision* just keep the negative to yourself & strive to do better next time. my least favorite of all time quilt is one I gave my mother in law- when I see that quilt I think about all the trouble I had with it- how the stars didn't lay flat, how the quilting was not all I wanted it to be, how 2 of my miters on the binding are 'yukky'.... she (or anyone else who's seen it) do not see any of these problems- they see what they consider a beautiful quilt they all love- me---i'd like to rip it off her bed & burn it! but I keep that to myself & don't even peek in at it when we visit. (and I've had plenty of spectacular, perfect, expensive quilts show up on the beach- at the family picnic- tossed on the sand & played on- good thing they are washable )
    Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 AM

My second quilt I made was a mess too, but being new to quilting I thought I had did a pretty good job with it, so I gave it to my sister and she loved it...a few years ago my brother had passed away and while the family gathered at her home, because my mother now lives with her, I asked her how the quilt was holding up. She told me it never leaves her bed. So I take a look, wanting to see how it looked and was mortified to see that in my haste to finish the quilting, I had overlooked one of the borders..NO quilting..not a stitch...I offered to take it and finish it but she said no, she wanted it just the way it was...sisters! gotta love em...
    Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 AM

I think it is such a gift when someone loves and appreciates anything you have made. Your sister and BIL are gems - keep them close.
    Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 AM

Beauty in the eye of the beholder! Your sister is beautiful inside and out.
    Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 AM

That was a touching story....how often we do not receive such a nice response on something we are so proud of making or doing for someone. Your sister is a GEM and her husband is a keeper too!
    Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 AM

I loved your story also. Have a family that does not appreciate handmade items - well, with one exception - my brother could take a crayon and draw a line on a piece of paper, and my mother would extoll the wonders of his artistic talent! But that is another story (grin) - and I am used to it after all these years. So I make gifts for my friends instead - and they truly make me feel good about what I do for them.
    Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

It was so nice to read your story!
    Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 AM

I agree, you are so lucky. Wonderful sisters are a gift from God. I have two beautiful sisters, only one is like me, we could have been twins if we weren't a couple of years apart. We are always on each others mind and often send gifts back and forth. I was her inspiration to start quilting but the brat took off and has surpassed me in every way! Love her dearly, maybe a little jealous that she has more free time than I do. Lucky you and lucky sister!
    Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 AM

Oh, how nice it would be to have more people like your sister in the world. I am happy for you both.
    Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 AM

This sure was a heartwarming story to start the day!