Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a quilt diary? >

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 AM

My sister bought me a spiral-bound notebook called 'quilt journal'. There is a page for a quilt picture and the next page has sections for Date completed, Recipient, and Notes. I try to get a pic of each quilt and write everything in the journal. Like Jingle, I don't label my quilts either. Of course - I have only finished 3 so far. But I have 6 in progress at every stage from cutting all the way up to binding.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I used one of the online printers ( Snapfish ) and had a nice hardcover book printed and bound for me this year of all the quilts I have finished in 2012 - 2013.

I have taken a picture of every quilt I have made , and I wanted a way to keep them documented off my computer as well as on, and this was an amazing option. I love that I can take it and show off all my quilts without having to even turn a computer on ! I hope to get one made each year to come as well so I will be able to look back and see how much I have learned and improved !

It was very easy to set up and it even let me add text to each page so I could put the quilt number ( I number all my quilts as well as name them ) the Quilt name, who received it and the date it was finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452621[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452622[/ATTACH]
That is an AMAZING idea! Someday I hope to finish enough quilts to make a book. LOL
Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 AM

I have almost filled my first quilt journal. I found it for half price at a quilt shop that was quitting business. It has two pages for each quilt. The left side is where you cut small swatches of the fabrics used in the quilt and a photo or two. On the right side, you can give the name of the pattern, who the quilt was for, thoughts while working on the quilt, etc. I have only been quilting since I retired from teaching 6 years ago, but I've almost completed the first journal and have another waiting for its turn. I love looking back through the original. Some of the things I've made, I have forgotten about, until I look through the journal. The lady who taught my "learning to quilt" class told us everyone should be sure to keep a journal. I thought and still do think it was very good advice.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 AM

I have pictures of all quilts made. I also have pictures of the progress of them. Each quilt is in its own folder on computer. I have pictures to put in scrapbook with info on quilts but haven't done that yet.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have a list of all my quilts - comforters and biscuit quilts. Some have dates, most are just listed by years.
I don't put labels on my quilts either. Not going to worry about them after I die.
I have multiple books with photos of quilts, who they were made for and the price if I made them for someone at work.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM

I have a photo list online.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Like charsuewilson I have pictures of a majority of my quilts, but unfortunately not all of them. I have a small photo album, perfect for the larger size pictures I had, but I need to update it. Maybe that should be a New Year's resolution, to update that album, then I can separate out the family reunion quilts I've made, the raffle quilts I made for my church's Holiday Fair and the others. It came in handy when I was in rehab and I had my husband bring it to me so that I could show the nurse's and other staff my quilts. I even came home with nearly 40 yards of fabric from one of the therapists there, as she said she'd never get around to using it. I have put it to good use since I got home.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Many years ago I bought a book for my mother at JoAnn Fabrics - "A Quilter's Notebook - An Illustrated Journal" She filled her book and then 1/2 of another one. She passed away this past July and I have her books. I also started the Journal and am also on my second book. I talk about the quilt, who it was for, what was going on, who it was going to. I never put down how much it cost and either did my Mom......it didn't matter when you are loving what you are doing and you are doing it for someone you love. Edie
Old 12-22-2013, 12:37 PM

I keep a quilt scrapbook. I started it about 10 years ago, when I realized I had forgotten about a whole lot of quilts I made for friends when we were all young mothers. I made the first section to be about family quilts - ones that my G'mas and sis and brother made, then started adding mine - took pics of the old ones that were still around, and then added my ne ones as I completed them. I do it sort of scrapbook style - pics of quilt, closeups if applicable, with recipients, journal notes about source of pattern, completed size and date, notes about the process, fabric swatches, disposition of finished quilt.

I often forget what I have done, and the scrapbook gives me a little more memory than my brain!!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I never thought the need to document the quilts, afhans I make along with lap quilts. Especially after I had someone rip me apart for the way I made a quilt once and only once. Never went back to that guild ever again ! LOL
But as a friend whom I met on here has reminded me not every one is the same and since I am getting older (ahem- love my age; just not the side affects !LOL) I should do so .. I don't label my quilts I give to friends but I do to my grandchildren. I feel that is important.