Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need (want) another machine >

need (want) another machine

need (want) another machine

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM

My solution to creating a sewing/piecing space in my bedroom came in the form of a strong granddaughter. She comes over to clean my house once a week (her allowance runs out of money by Friday, that's my cleaning day) and she can/will do anything I ask of her. She has cleaning the floors down to an art--and in between she will take stuff out to my sewing room or papa's shop with no complaint whatsoever. Weight is a problem with me, plus the fact that my sewing room is about 50' behind our house. Those heavy sewing machines in the carrying cases are no problem at all for her, and I can't even get one up off the floor. I was 78 yesterday, and she was 13 in January.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure why someone would tell you that you can't piece and FMQ on the same machine. Until I burned the motor out (quite literally) on my old reliable Kenmore, bought a Singer sewing machine, which was replaced about a year later to a Janome 4000, but at least I got the price I paid for the Singer as trade-in on the Janome; I pieced and quilted on the same machine. However, I should stipulate that I did mainly SID or straight line quilting, except for using the pre -printed papers with the quilt designs printed on them, after piecing a quilt. I am still trying to master FMQ., but unless you will be carrying a machine back and forth to classes, I cannot see why you can't piece and FMQ on the same machine. Perhaps that person has stock in a sewing machine company, and wants to sell you a new machine.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM

I have an old Bernina 830 (over 40 years old), then got a BabyLock Quest, then down the road picked up a used Bernina 165, then a Bernina 1230. I use all of them ALL the time. I both piece and FMQ with all of them. As for the 1/4 inch seam - When starting a new project, I sew a test seam using the fabric combination used in the project as well as the thread that will be used. I find that placement to get the true 1/4 seam can vary from project to project so I "test" every time.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM

I have a Janome 6600P also and find that NOT using the accufeed when piecing works better. I just use a regular 1/4" foot and not engaging the accufeed. It does great then for both piecing and FMQ. I do use the accufeed when straight-line quilting and sewing the binding on. Although, I recently bought a Singer Featherweight 221 and I admit that I love the wonderful straight, even-tensioned stitch I get on it. I have been doing quite a bit of piecing on it. We were both born in 1953 - so I think we have a "bond".
Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 PM

ABout 5 times out of every 10 when I get on the board, I find some problem I didn't know I was supposed to have. I have a Janome 4600, a 57 year old Kenmore with cams, and a 1930 something Singer straight stitch. They all have done everything I asked them to do without complaint. The Janome is not quite as good at sewing really bulky seams, but for the most part, every one of the machines is "a little dolly booger." I am going to knock on some heavy duty wood that all my machines are doing the job--at least right now. froggyintexas
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM

I piece and FMQ on my Bernina 440. If there's a problem, it's usually me, not the machine.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM

Sounds like a good reason for getting another machine. Try it on your hubby and see if it works. Not sure my husband would fall for it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM

klgls, as I've said numerous times the Janome 6600P is my dream machine I am saving for. It will take me time to save for it but since I am a beginner self taught I figure I will learn a lot by the time I can purchase it, so no hurry (well sort of) but since getting the Janome 662 Silver edition from an Estate Sale & noticing how quiet & smoothly it runs naturally with a bit of research of the extras that come with it...i want..no wait..I NEED it!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM

I have read Leah Day's blog for a long time. She uses and highly recommends the Janome 7700 - and she is not paid by Janome. I think she uses this machine for piecing and all her quilting. I have this machine and love it for piecing and free motion quilting. I have another machine, but never use it.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I piece and quilt on my Quilla (Baby Lock Espire) and she purrs like a kitten. Since I can only work at one project at a time, I switch setup or feet or whatever to make it work for me. Now that said, it sounds like you want a new machine. In that case, go forth and shop.