Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs? >
  • Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

• Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Sounds like Booger and Wookie need a sewing lesson.
    Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA
    I have had a couple of fabrics that were HORRIBLE bleeders, even after pre-washing. And these were supposedly quilt shop quality fabrics (both RJR). So yes, always wash. Wash finished quilts in soap, not *detergent at least for the first few washings and use color catchers.

*Footnote: The main ingredient in detergent is soda ash, which helps dye to adhere to fabric. Soda ash will help any bleeding stay in your fabric.

A fix to dye bleeding is to "soak" the bleeding spots in Synthrapol or even dish soap and then wash in either of those two.

And definitely don't mix washed and unwashed fabrics in a quilt. Uneven shrinkage caused by doing this can lead to unpredictable results.

Where do you get Synthrapol?
    Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM

*** YES, I always wash.
    *** Too much work to have Bleeding & Shrinkage.
    Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM

The main reason I pre-wash is to remove the chemicals in it. I like hand sewing, and also the feel of the new fabric, but found my fingernails were pealing and the tips of my fingers were dry as dirt. It took me a while to figure out the cause, but once I did I have washed ever since.
    Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM

I wash everything fabric that comes in the house.Clothing, fabric, anything made from fabric that can be washed is washed. I was at my LQS and I was talking to one of the owners about pre-washing, she told me that most people don't pre-wash and I picked up a bolt of fabric and held it out to her and asked her to smell it. She knew that I had lots of allergies and she understands that I prewash all the fabric that I buy from her. The smell of the chemicals give me a headache, so I just wash fabric. No big deal for me.
    Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM

I used to pre-wash yardage, but never charm packs or jelly rolls. Now I just use the color catchers with all my fabrics and have not had any problems.....so far.
    Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nme1974
    Where do you get Synthrapol?
    It is widely available online from places such as Amazon, Dharma Trading, etc. and is also often carried in quilting stores -- especially those that cater to home dyers. Here is a link to it on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Synth...dp/B0009IJZPY/
    Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM

I am also new to quilting...and I have made 3 quilts from start to finish so far using both yardage and pre-cuts. I have not and do not plan to pre-wash. As many have said, it is a personal preference and I choose not to. I love washing my newly finished quilt, pulling it out of the dryer, and seeing the puckers from the slight shrinkage. To me, that is what gives my quilts character and I love it. <3
    Old 03-20-2014, 03:58 AM

No, I don't wash any of my fabrics before using. I think the original finish helps with the piecing. If I am suspicious of a piece of red, I may wash a small piece in a glass dish of hot water to see if it will fade. Have never had a problem. You can wash after finished with color catcher sheets.
    Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 AM

I have only had experience with charm packs.

A friend told me to place the charms in a large bowl of hot water , (no detergent). I put a Shout color catcher in the bowl as I had some lights and darks colors in the charm pack. Soak charms in hot water for about 5 minutes. If you see the water turning colors, refill the bowl with water until it stays clear.

Next, get a salad spinner,(the kind you put lettuce in to remove the water after rinsing the lettuce) Place the charm squares in the salad spinner and press the spinner to remove the excess water from the charm squares. Hang the wet charms to dry. I put mine over a clothes drying rack stand. Putting in a dryer may distort the charms or cause fraying.

Some people separate the charms into light and darks and place in separate bowls to test color fastness. Good luck