Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting a new iron? >

Getting a new iron?

Getting a new iron?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM

My Mom just replaced her iron with the Shark iron. I think she bought it at Target for about $30. I test drove it over at her house and I love it! I will be replacing my iron with the Shark. I have the Shark steam mop and I really like the mop too.

P. S. She previously had a pricey Rowenta and was not happy with it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM

I have a ProctorSilex steam iron with a long retractable cord and teflon sole plate. I paid between $20-$25 for it and love it. My all time favorite iron was one my mom had when I was still home...a Sunbeam dry iron...nope, no steam back then. This summer I bought a Sunbeam steam iron for my sister after I trashed hers when I used it to fuse interfacing on a project and gummed up the sole plate big time. She loves the Sunbeam (she, too, had a Rowenta iron, but it burned out for her, and she said she'd never get another as they are too expensive.) the Sunbeam was $26.95 at the local hardware store where my sis lives in Montana.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 AM

My mother volunteers in the electronic department of a HUGE rummage sale in Jersey (if you are in the Jersey area the first full weekends of May and October you should go - they have an amazing fabric & craft room - yes, room!!) well, anyhoo.... she gets Rowentas in and she hardly ever keeps them - they tend to not work when they are brought in... so I'd steer clear of the hefty price tag.

I bought a $15 iron a B&D from Walmart and I love it. In fact two of my friends have gone out and bought the same iron after using mine!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 AM

A few years ago I bought a $20-$25 iron at Walmart - GE 10667IR- based on Consumer report recommendation. I am still using and also bought my daughter one two years ago which she is still using. I had a Rowenta prior to this which lasted 18 months. Don't ever plan to buy another one.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 AM

I have a Rowenta and it worked great for a couple of years. It began leaking about a year ago, but I still use it sometimes. I pinch pennies so much and that iron was a huge splurge for me (even with a 50% off sale at JoAnn Fabrics), so I just can't throw it away just yet. My sister has a Rowenta professional iron that has a big tank for water. I love that iron--the water line from the tank to the iron is long and that thing produces steam like a dream! I won't be getting one though, because the price tag is beyond my budget. My favorite iron though, is a Black and Decker that I got at a thrift store for just $3.99! It is the best iron I've ever had. When I go the buy another iron, it won't be a Rowenta. It will definitely be a Black and Decker!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Here is the iron I'm thinking of getting,
thank you all for your help!
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-S...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Looks nice! :D
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM

I have used a T-Fal for quite a while now. I had a Rowenta. Hated it. Just this year at the Sewing Expo in Pyuallup I bought the new Oliso. Cost quite a bit, but I love it. If you are wanting to stay inexpensive you can't go wrong with a T-Fal.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 PM

ROWANTA is the only way to go, and ALWAYS use bottled distilled water. You will never have a steam problem. Mine is automatic 'shut off' if you forget and leave it on. My first one was called "steam and seam' but it did not hold much water, and you have to keep filling it. the one I have now holds more water . :
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Does anyone have the Oliso iron that Fon's and Porter use on their TV show? I think it looks so easy to use when you don't have to set it up.