Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
dresser or cabinet? >

dresser or cabinet?

dresser or cabinet?

Old 04-12-2014, 02:42 PM

I'm a fan of dressers and wish I had more drawers. This dresser belonged to my daughter and has 3 drawers on each side. The top ones hold folded FQs and the other 4 hold fabrics wrapped on comic boards. They have been stored this way for a year now and I could not be happier!
Attached Thumbnails p1050668.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM

I haven't heard anyone else say this so I thought I'd chime in... I had hubby put shelves that can be readjusted if needed in just half of the closet for fabric. I couldn't love it more! The shelves sit on brackets that fit into a metal strip with slits in it that runs up the wall. No need for using up wall space with furniture so I have plenty of room for my cutting table, bookshelves and the flannel backed tablecloth that I use as a design wall. With a small room it's the best use of space I could come up with. It works very well and I just slide the closet door closed to put it out of sight.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I haven't heard anyone else say this so I thought I'd chime in... I had hubby put shelves that can be readjusted if needed in just half of the closet for fabric. I couldn't love it more! The shelves sit on brackets that fit into a metal strip with slits in it that runs up the wall. No need for using up wall space with furniture so I have plenty of room for my cutting table, bookshelves and the flannel backed tablecloth that I use as a design wall. With a small room it's the best use of space I could come up with. It works very well and I just slide the closet door closed to put it out of sight.
Currently, the closet in my sewing room is full of my husbands out of season clothes and linens.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Either sounds nice. I've seen some really fun converted dresser to shelves over on pinterest.

My sewing room is in the sun room. Great for all day light. Really really bad for fabric. I use an Ikea Expediate Shelf unit. And bought the Drina fabric Boxes to go in them. (I'm up to 8 boxes so far.) The bottom 2 shelves. The top Shelves have other types of storage and display. I would eventually love to wrap the fabric on comic book boards in the boxes for better organization. But, for now, at least I have my fabric protected from the light.

The grey and white zippered boxes are from Old Time Pottery. (They were yellow tag items on sale.) I love that they are made out of recycled plastic. They were a nice size and a great price on sale.

You can see photos of the shelf here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18984.html
I have updated and changed the shelf around a little. But haven't posted it yet. I have a really hard time posting to photo bucket right now. (Oh well, I will sort that out soon.)
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM

I have an antique dresser and an armoire {also an old trunk} in my sewing room. I didn't want to make big changes in the room in case we need to use it as a bedroom again. If you make a list of what you have in them and keep it inside the door or drawer you will know what you have in them with out having to search through it.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Judith...enjoyed looking at the pictures of your space!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Thank you. This is my first sewing room. (That's all mine.) Before, I sewed everywhere. lol It is fun to be able to not have to pick up everything when I'm right in the middle of something. (I'm a bit of a neat freak anyway.) So, I really like everything havind a place.

ASimpleLife, I sure am crushing on your drawers also. I may have a spot for one of these in the near future. It sure is inviting. (And, your fabric is in a dust, light free environment.) I really like it.
Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Judith...enjoyed looking at the pictures of your space!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have bookcases, storage containers and dressers. I have a stand up dresser and a long dresser that I put a big retangular ironing board on it. I have a hard time going through the drawers as opposed to bookcases and a storage unit. I forget about the drawers. I would much rather have a bookcase with doors any day. The dressers are nice, tho. They hold lots of fabric. Probably more than my bookcases.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM

I have a sewing/guest room combo that's been evolving for the past year, so I have figured out what I like and what I don't.

There's a queen size bed in there that I sleep in when I've been up too late sewing and don't want to disturb my man.

I have 2 dressers, one as a nightstand with craft items in it, and the other is in there with fabric yardage.

I rarely go into either one of them. It's a pain to find stuff. Yes, it's tidy so it's easy to look at, but it doesn't function and has been frustrating trying to remember which drawer has what in it (without opening all 8).

I also have 2 short bookcases . On one I have made fabric foam boards and wrapped my fabric around it. On another, I keep clear shoeboxes with smaller pieces, sorted by color. It's an Ikea one that doubles as my ironing board where I can sit and iron, then swivel to sew.

Without a doubt, the bookcases function MUCH better than dressers. I keep both away from the windows to prevent fading. In fact, the next thing on my list is to get the oak dresser out and a tall bookcase in, because I have more fabric than I have shelf space for.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I'm a fan of dressers and wish I had more drawers. This dresser belonged to my daughter and has 3 drawers on each side. The top ones hold folded FQs and the other 4 hold fabrics wrapped on comic boards. They have been stored this way for a year now and I could not be happier!
You've just given me a great solution for keeping a dresser that works well for a nightstand but has been lousy for storing fabric. I never thought to line them up like this! You're a smart cookie!