Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does Jenny do it. >

How does Jenny do it.

How does Jenny do it.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:38 AM

I love her videos and have made two of the quilts which turned out great. I did not use the precuts, just cut my own. I don't go nuts over accuracy since I don't sew for contests. I make quilts to be used, to be loved, to be worn to a raggy frazzle, so if there's a little ooky somewhere I don't stay awake worrying about it. I do the best I can and with failing vision it isn't perfect but none of my family seems to care and they are the ones I make quilts for. When it isn't fun any more I'll do something else.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
I heard Nancy Zieman say one time that she does her worst sewing on camera. I think all of these great sewing pros are just showing us how to do something. We can then do it as slow or fast as we want to get the results we want.
Nancy once had a guest on her show making something with pinwheels. The guest had sewn the HST's and Nancy was supposed to lay them out in front of the camera in the pinwheel formation. She had the first two in position and tried to lay the third one in place. She turned it around two or three times, but couldn't find the right way. So funny! I just wanted to crawl in there and fix it for her. It looked so easy from my prospective. Then she just dropped it and showed us the finished pinwheel (with perfect points) that was prepared beforehand.

Our sewing isn't always perfect, and videos aren't always perfect either. I think they are more fun to watch that way.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:22 AM

I love,love her MQ tutorials!, in fact, Sarah on site did the CC after my request for one! Jenny makes things so much
Easier to understand how to do those blocks. Im sure not everyone can sew straight all the time either! I've made bags that she shown and a few blocks of the other project and been very happy with them that otherwise probably would have driven me bonkers to understand or do! Lol. So glad for videos so I can go back time to time to view and sew! I use lots of my blocks from my go! System from my stash rather than buy precuts which basically the same thing.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I bet she's more careful when she's making quilts that aren't part of a tutorial. She probably goes quicker than usual on the videos so she can show everything and keep it interesting, and not get bogged down with slow stitching and fussing around with perfect cuts.
That would be my guess.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:34 AM

....love Jenny's enthusiasm. I've watched her tutes and seen some bobbles but I've seen some catastrophes at a national quilt class I took too. Everything cut wrong. If perfection is required I think most of us will struggle. What's amazing about Jenny Doan and her family is the vitality of their business. Necessity brought them into the business but I really think good old fashioned hard work has brought them success.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:41 AM

I was fortunate to meet the wonderful Jenny Doan at her shop a couple of years ago. She personally took me around the shop and the warehouse. I think that she does things in a quick manner for the tutorials but also said that she quilts to enjoy it and does not stress over perfection. She is a woman after my own heart. As my late mother used to say "someone on a galloping horse will never see it."
Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 AM

I agree with Geri B
Old 05-31-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I think Jennie has one of the most positive attitudes of anyone around. She is the one that made quilting fun for me and I love watching her tutorials. So she sometimes sews a crooked seam, haven't we all?
I absolutely agree. I have done a few things using her tutorials, and they do work, and I have two more with the fabric already picked out. The alter ego pattern and the mail pattern. Love them both.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:00 AM

I had a class with Jenny a few weeks ago....she is so upbeat, motivating and delightful- everyone loved her! Her philosophy is to enjoy the process and not stress. Her finished quilts are NOT perfect if you inspect them- wheat recipients really do that though!? I"m not a huge fan of precuts and went essentially to meet her because she does do wonderful things, but her trunk show was amazing. There were so many ideas she showed on a design board from each block...different layouts with a ton of results. Her Husband was her helper and was awesome, too. She does move fast and even if you don't like precuts- she has a lot to offer!!! Oh, her entire family is involved with the company- computer stuff, camera work, ordering etc.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Going way back to when most of us were little girls we we taught about perfection and it has really hampered a lot of us from being able to just enjoy the doing.

I am always hearing in general conversations about how grown women talk about how imperfect they are. Much damage has been done over many years of striving to be perfect. Jenny Doan and Eleanor Burns are great examples of how much fun any endeavor can be. Be it quilting, cooking, gardening, etc. Hurray to them for making it less stressful and more fun. We can take their inspiration and fly as high as we want with it. The methods they show us only help us to get more creative in our own lives.
peace