Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to do with 2 1/2" strips >
  • What to do with 2 1/2" strips

• What to do with 2 1/2" strips

Old 02-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I use the term home sewing machine instead of domestic, because the opposite of domestic is not from this country.
    I think in this case it means home, kind of like a domestic dispute or domestic chores. The word domestic has several meanings.
    Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM

I would love to see your tutorial on QAYG. I am really hoping to make one this way, and am thankful for any help and inspiration I can get! I will be on the lookout for it! BTW, if you could put QAYG in the thread title, that would make it very easy to find, I think. Looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I am new to QAG so I have collected 4 different, but similar colors, jelly rolls and some larger pieces for borders, to make a sort of rail fence design, one quilted block at a time. I found an easy for me way to put them together and l the first one (as I was learning) only took a couple weeks from beginning to gifted. Can't beat that. When I do start the next one I am going to post a tutorial on this board if anyone wants to try the easy method I developed for me.
    Old 02-14-2015, 02:41 PM

THANKS for all the great ideas!! My mind was stuck on the jelly roll race quilt, and I just can't find enough coordinating fabrics to make that work!!

Do you think the Boxed Square Quilt would look good in just two fabrics? One fabric would be the paisley strips, and the other would be white or gray.

I'm making crib size quilts, so I think I have enough strips for two quilts. I think the other one will be a rail fence. I have the paisley, another print, a gray and a white, so I was thinking 4 rails.

Thanks again!
    Old 02-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Just learning what I can make with jelly rolls and I am finding so many ways to use them. I am just a beginner, but I have plenty of ideas.
    Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by callen
    I had a pkg. of jelly roll strips that I was not "in love" with. I saw a tutorial on MSQC & followed her instructions. I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the tute was called but it was pretty straight forward. I took 4 strips & joined together - I then cut them into squares (obviously by the width of the joined strips) - laid 1 square on top of the other but with strips going in the opposite direction - sewed 1/4" around the outside edge - cut them diagonally from corner to corner (basically cutting a big X ) & you end up with 4 smaller squares. Square them up & then you can join them to make your block in whatever configuration that you prefer. Looks scrappy but somewhat controlled scrappy. Hope this helps. I have to say that I quite like the finished quilt top & I did not like the jelly roll strips when I received them. You never know how things will look until you're done. What a surprise I got from strips that I did not like at the start.
    The quilt you are looking for is: Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt by Three Dudes. These three guys have a quilt shop I think in Arizona. The pattern is so easy and so amazing.
    Old 02-15-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
    THANKS Do you think the Boxed Square Quilt would look good in just two fabrics? One fabric would be the paisley strips, and the other would be white or gray.
    You would need something to separate the two fabrics. Making them every other one would look nice. Switch inside fabric and outside fabric. Or put sashing between.
    Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 PM

I made this table topper. It's a free pattern from the fat quarter shop. I just had to make a few changes,[ATTACH=CONFIG]510539[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2015-02-08_22-12-29_154.jpg