Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I nuts to attempt this?  I Love, Love, Love  it. >

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Please take a moment to read my tutorial on applique, it will give you an easy and doable way to curve all the ends using liquid starch, a needle, a small paintbrush and an iron. I would make a running stich on the edge of each curve, then use liquid starch on the edges, then press them into shape, holding the iron in place until the starch is dry. (If you get flakes, just ignore them for now, since you will need to wash the glue baste out anyway.) Elmer's school glue it in place on the background, then then you can hand or machine sew the edges down. I would curve each blade first and then start to assemble. My first dresden was 49" across, so yours will be more manageable.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Jennie Dron has a tutorial for a Dresden Plate wall hanging on her Missouri Star web site. Hopefull this will be of some help to you.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Please take a moment to read my tutorial on applique, it will give you an easy and doable way to curve all the ends using liquid starch, a needle, a small paintbrush and an iron. I would make a running stich on the edge of each curve, then use liquid starch on the edges, then press them into shape, holding the iron in place until the starch is dry. (If you get flakes, just ignore them for now, since you will need to wash the glue baste out anyway.) Elmer's school glue it in place on the background, then then you can hand or machine sew the edges down. I would curve each blade first and then start to assemble. My first dresden was 49" across, so yours will be more manageable.
Where is your tutorial? More than what's in your post? That's what I've decided is the best technique for me. What do you iron over? Template plastic or cardboard?
SVAL
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Where is your tutorial? More than what's in your post? That's what I've decided is the best technique for me. What do you iron over? Template plastic or cardboard?
SVAL
here is a link to the tutorial. I used three layers of freezer paper ironed together, then cut to shape, irond on dresden blade, then get out the starch.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t240526.html
Old 04-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Vir

Smile Virginia from Mississauga, Ont, Canada

Our guild used this free pattern (with permission) for a thank you to our outgoing president: http://www.shawkl.com/2012/03/dresde...-tutorial.html
Only 3 "plates" are done at a time and then sewn to the corners of a 6-/2 in square. Then sew 4 squares together. There was a wonderful response and a large box of finished 6-1/2 in squares, so the recipient could use them however she wanted...like the drunkard's path block. It's not restricted to a circle unless that's what you want. I liked this so much that I'm making one for me.
I also use the heat-resistant Templar as a guide for pressing the curves, with a little "Best Press". I like this product for hand appliqué as it holds the shape but is very easy to sew through. Remember to have your iron set at medium and make sure the piece is dry before taking the shape out.
Hope this info helps you. Oh, I forgot - this template fits a 2-1/2 in strip. I want to do another one using a Bali Pop, with coodinating colours...one of these days.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

You are not nuts...Go for it....
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 AM

I love Dresden fans, but I prefer the pointed end to the rounded ones, so have never had this problem. I would use the heat resistant mylar to make a template, then do a basting stitch around the curve, pull the threads around the template, spray starch the edges and press. And I do all my basting by machine - loosen the tension and increase the stitch length. You have to take your time, but it is so much easier than basting by hand.

If you like paper piecing, I found a tutorial for a Modern Dresden at http://christaquilts.com/2013/01/31/...ieced-pattern/ I did a four-block wall hanging (which means you actually PP 16 - 6" blocks), but it went quickly. I haven't quilted it yet, so don't have a picture to show, but I will post one when I finish it.

Last edited by mckwilter; 04-22-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 AM

I'm going to do it. I have two sample blocks I worked up yesterday. One I hand appliqued. The other I'm going to try machine and see which I prefer.
But now comes the part I struggle with. Picking out the cloth. I'm not good at it. Plus usually what I like doesn't seem to exist.
The trim in the room is a dusty rose. Almost peach, but more pink. but not real pink. and some green in the curtains.
Do you know how hard it is to find fabric that color?
3 Sisters Whitewashed Cottage is really good. i can't find a LQS that carries it. I'd like to see and feel it.
I only need 3 different fabrics for the dresden fan and the plainish one for the background. I know I need good contrast to the background and each other. But don't want one blade to stand out from the others.
Don't know if that makes any sense.
I might just have to bite the bullet and order from 3 Sisters. Anyone ever used them?
SVAL
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

There is a way to export the file from eq, I don't know how but Rhoda might know how to do that lol. I would love to see it. I have made the orange peel from the Karen stone book.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 AM
dms

That's just what I thought. It would get nice and even and not turning edges.