Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help >

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 PM

I vote for Juki!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 AM

Although it's a long distance to travel it might be worth it to try out the machines. Also many good sewing machine dealers have trade ins for sale that have been serviced and are available for more reasonable prices (after all you are trading in yours). Many have only been lightly used. Call a few but also remember there will be times you want to have your machine serviced so you don't want to have to travel too far for that.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 AM

I purchased the Juki 2010Q for doing my quilting in my mid arm quilt frame. I love, love, love this machine. I have been sewing for about 40 years and I would recommend this machine to anyone. It hasn't made it to my quilt frame for I have been using non-stop for other sewing. I highly recommend the Juki 2010. Have fun, I know I am.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:49 AM

Isn't this board wonderful when you have a question? Buying a machine is such a personal decision that I'd encourage you to get the one you love if at all possible. Personally, I think I'm pretty eclectic. I have a Janome 7700 which I love and it is great for FMQ. BUT, I also have an older Bernina and a Viking Diamond. All this is to say, different machines meet different needs and I admit I'm fortunate to have these toys. The big key is a dependable dealer.

Re the Janome, if you find the model you love but not the price being given check out Ken's Sewing Center in Muscle Shoals, Al. I don't live anywhere near them but after researching the Janome I wanted a few years back I bought it at a quilt show from them because their price was much better, they offered free shipping and have a wonderful reputation for reliability. Yes, if there is a problem it can be a pain but I didn't have a Janome dealer nearby anyway and when she needs service I have to drive over an hour to drop off and then again pick up so the $$ savings were worth it to me.

Good luck on your hunt. PS I do love my other machines as well and if the price wasn't SOOOOO high would likely upgrade to one of the new Berninas. However, the old one is great, just doesn't have the large bed for FMQ.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 AM

I don't know why everyone thinks that buying at a show is a good way to go. I bought my serger from a huge show and frankly, the price was not all that great. Lesson learned. I should have bought local.

i love my Janomes and I have never had any issues with any of them. Ever. Regular maintenance ....that is all. I don't do trade-ins. Yes, of course the dealer is going to sell the trade-ins to recoup the $$. What do we expect them to do with them?

I would not aggravate myself trying to shop machines via amazon. My time is worth more than me repacking and shipping machines back. Do that too many times with Amazon and one might lose shopping privileges.

Shop, negotiate a cash deal with no trade. Good luck.

Sandy
Old 09-29-2015, 03:40 AM

I have several Vikings. I love them all including the Sapphire - which I bought before my Diamond. Can't understand why your dealer hasn't dealt with your problems. My dealer certainly would have. I wish you luck.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:58 AM

Hi Bethany:
Welcome to the board I am sure you will enjoy it since everyone is so kind and willing to help. I just recently got a Janome 7700QCP and I love it. I think the retail price is going for about $2499 but you should shop around for a better price. The reason I like it is that it has an 11inch space from the needle to the right. I am just beginning to machine quilt so this has helped a lot. Good Luck
Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 AM

I'm a big Janome fan. I have a great dealer, but I have to haggle a bit to get the best price. I have found that trading in a machine is not the way to get the best deal so I sold my last machine on the Yahoo group Sewitforsale.

The dealers have a lot of wiggle room in their prices. You might call around to see what kind of price you can get and then allow your local dealer the chance to match it.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 AM

I started out with a Janome 6600 4 years ago and won't give it up. This spring I purchased the 8900 and haven't regretted it one bit. Both sew like a dream and my local Janome dealer is only 20 minutes away. Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM

DO NOT BUY A JANOME 7700,! There were so many lemons....there are a few happy customers.....the 8900 addressed all the issues with the 7700......your dealer is way too high on the price. You would be giving away your current machine..no deal. My 8900 has been great for fmq. I would highly recommend it......or if you need to spend a little less...go for the Janome 6600. I have one of those too. Both great machines.