Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shows >

Quilt Shows

Quilt Shows

Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM

I have only been to one AQS show - back when it came to Nashville (hmmm, about 10 years ago now?!?) This was when I was shopping for a longarm, so I went all 4 (or 5?) days, "test driving" every machine there, several times each. I also spent quite a bit of $$. It was a very good investment of my time and money, as I figured out EXACTLY which machine I liked/wanted and why. I still have the same machine today, and am (for the most part) very satisfied with it.

Now, I try to attend at least one or two of my local shows every year. I especially like to take a non-quilting friend with me, as it helps me to see the quilts with "fresh eyes". The smaller shows have enough vendors to be interesting, and plenty of different styles of quilts to give me (and sometimes the friend) some new inspiration

I like both the "traditional" style of quilts, as well as the more "modern". However, some of the "art" quilts make me feel like I'm looking at a wanna-be-Picasso. The disjointed, broken, cockeyed look actually irritates my OCD-ness. And before anyone blasts me for that, I'm NOT saying that these pieces are ugly, or wrong or anything like that - I'm just saying they make my brain go "tilt".
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM

I love going to the quilt shows because I love looking at the quilts. Even though I do not always agree with the winning quilts I love to get inspiration for my next project. I also like the vendors set up as I love the bright colored fabrics and how each reacts with the other.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM

I try to get to Paducah every year. Stay at a wonderful B&B there. When I told my daughter I was going to the show to see the quilts & the vendors she said, "What in the world can you buy at a quilt show?"��
Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM

My attendance and the length of time I stay has changed over the years. When I first got my longarm I went to 3 machine quilting shows and took classes at each. Now I don't spend as much time at quilt shows because I am out of shape (maybe I need to hit the treadmill and work on my stamina before the next show). I started going to shows when I was 44 and now I am 65 so in answer to the OP I think stamina has a bit to do with my attendance.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM

I agree with all that was said. I love quilt shows. It seems that there aren't many of the bigger shows near me any more. A group of us are talking about going to one of the local shows in a few weeks. I love looking at all of the quilts for inspiration. Some I could never dream of being able to make. I also don't need any more fabric etc, but that doesn't seem to stop me from buying. I have been buying less. I went to a LQS today to buy only their row by row for this year. I came out with 4 yards of fabric a FQ, the row and a pattern. I was so bad. Yes you can buy everything on the internet but it is so much better to touch the fabric and see the true colors. I only buy online what I can't get locally.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:12 PM

I love to go to quilt shows. I live on the west coast, so I have been to PIQF, San Diego show, Road to CA almost every year and once to Houston. I love to see new products that are available, new teachers, colors that I would never put together but are beautiful. I think I like to open my eyes to new ideas. I've seen quilts made by quilters that I wanted to take classes from. I have learned so much from those teachers. I go every year to Road with 2 friends. It is a fun outing for us. Yes the shows are crowded, but that doesn't stop us. The food is expensive, but we enjoy meeting new quilters at the food tables. So many times I have said, "I never would have thought of that!." I never would have taken classes from Libby Lehman, Susan Carlson, Cindy Brick, Cindy Needham, etc. These quilters are not just teachers, but they open up their brains and give you everything they have inside. I was exposed to them through quilt shows. Save your money and go!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:04 PM

Last year, the guild planned a bus trip to Sisters, Oregon. It was 8 days long. The first day was travel with food stops and a LQS stop. The fun was in the comrodery on the bus, the big change in scenery, the outdoor quilt show, seeing the quilts with one person, then another, shopping in Sisters. Each night was a different location. Each day was new LQS. And LOTS of talking & laughing on the bus.

Large shows have lots of vendors with new ideas and gadgets. And especially the hand dyes. Lots of quilts that are works of arts (traditional & art). Classes with international teachers. I can get a taste of the teacher and decide if I'd spend a week in their class or invite them to our guild for workshop and lecture. As to cost, that's individual. If I can't afford it, than I'll do without. People in business deserve to make a profit. LQS owners don't get wealthy. And the farmers who grow the cotton don't get wealthy either. Vendors work hard at traveling, away from home, set-up, selling, long hours, hard floors, and they don't get wealthy either. As to food cost, I've discovered I like a break in the middle of the day to rest, so I go back to the hotel and have lunch from food I brought with me. Also, I stay at a hotel that includes a full breakfast in the fee. Also, the hotel includes a shuttle, so no parking fee and I'm dropped right at the front door.

Each year I plan to spend $$ on vacations. Quilt shows (and seminars) are part of the vacation.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I used to go to all the big shows in my region. Everything was very expensive, from the hotel to food to parking. Now I just to to the Pigeon Forge Mountain Quiltfest. The hotels are reasonable, and classes are very reasonable. Of course the cost of venue food is out of this world. Four of us go down. We spend the whole week there. Take classes just about every day, and sew all night. I did go to Paducah this year ($50 for the bus ride) I will not go back.
Now, THIS sounds great! I love Quiltfest. Wish I had a group of friends to go with me.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:50 PM

oh, one other thing I like to check out at quilt shows, is if they have a section where the quilt teachers hang their work. It is fun to see and really helps me decided on future classes I might take.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

One thing I noticed at a show in Ft. Smith was a woman walking past me and telling three other women that you cannot hand quilt through batiks. I know this is a lie. I am certain that she had her own agenda. Probably trying to sell them a long arm.