Tired of cooking..

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM

I finally came to the conclusion many years ago that it's not the actual cooking part that I hate. It's cooking for only 2 people all the time that I hate! I enjoy cooking for a horde of people (as I'll be doing next week) and can and will be doing it for hours. But for 2 people, day in, day out - not so much. DH does not mind cooking at all and will frequently do so. He's a far more creative cook than I am. He works an ungodly number of hours per week. Me - very part time. But he will still willingly cook dinner any given night. He's also a volunteer fireman and EMT. Between that and the hours he works, I cook meals that can be ready in 5 minutes or things that can cook for 5 hrs and not be ruined. It can be a challenge. Otherwise - it's reservations!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:04 AM

My hubby says the best thing I make for dinner is reservations. Or Israelite meals - you know - burnt offerings. We eat out 5-6 nites a week but make healthier choices. I will say that I do make a killer Thanksgiving Dinner w/all the trimmings. Glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the cooking gene.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM

I love this thread! Have been feeling the same way for the last couple of years. It's not the cooking per se, it's the planning. Tell me what you want to eat and I'll gladly cook it for you, but when I'm not hungry for something in particular, I'm lost. I will say DH is a great grocery shopper. If it's on the list, he'll bring it home even if he has to go to more than one store. One time he brought home All laundry detergent, a brand I had never used before. I asked if it was on sale and he said no, it was on the list and handed me the list. At the top of the paper, I had doodled trying to get my pen to work. It looked like All written in cursive! LOL We've laughed a lot about that over the years.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 AM

My family is spoiled. I cook pretty much every night after work. I do get off at 3:00. My DH and kids always got a full cooked meal every night. I enjoy cooking as you can tell looking at my waistline. I do try to cook healthy. If my DH had his way nearly everything would be fried like his mom made it. After 35 years of marriage he doesn't want as many things fried. We do order pizza on occasion, we rarely eat fast food. While I love it it isn't very healthy.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM

I stopped cooking much a few years ago. I've reached a point in my life when nothing sounds good. My poor husband would love hot meals a couple times a day, but he really doesn't complain. Maybe once or twice a week I'll make a hot meal. Oftentimes I won't eat much of it, but my husband then has leftovers.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Ann View Post
My husband of fifty two years, doesn't cook (At all). I have been cooking since I was thirteen. I cook three meals a day. When I make breakfast pancakes for example, I do meal sizes to freeze so all he has to do is pop one pkg in the micro wave. Other mornings it's cereal, french toast etc. Lunch I make different sandwiches each day or home made soup. I'm always cooking new recipes for dinner, I don't like cooking the same old thing for dinner so, he never knows what he's getting. LOL. I use my crockpot a lot, especially in the winter.
52 years! That's wonderful. Congratulations! I use my crockpot a lot and hubbie helps cut up ingredients. He does the grocery shopping too but gets a bit over zealous with the sales and typically comes back with more than what was on the list. Lol...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I stopped cooking much a few years ago. I've reached a point in my life when nothing sounds good. My poor husband would love hot meals a couple times a day, but he really doesn't complain. Maybe once or twice a week I'll make a hot meal. Oftentimes I won't eat much of it, but my husband then has leftovers.
i have an Aunt that told my uncle she retired from cooking when he retired from employment. They eat out every night. Last I spoke with her, they signed up for that food company that delivers complete meals packages (not meals on wheels) healthy stuff with instructions on how to prepare. My uncle is the cook now. Cracks me up.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
I love this thread! Have been feeling the same way for the last couple of years. It's not the cooking per se, it's the planning. Tell me what you want to eat and I'll gladly cook it for you, but when I'm not hungry for something in particular, I'm lost. I will say DH is a great grocery shopper. If it's on the list, he'll bring it home even if he has to go to more than one store. One time he brought home All laundry detergent, a brand I had never used before. I asked if it was on sale and he said no, it was on the list and handed me the list. At the top of the paper, I had doodled trying to get my pen to work. It looked like All written in cursive! LOL We've laughed a lot about that over the years.
hilarious! He sounds like such a trooper. My hubbie is a great bargain shopper. He takes his elderly mother grocery shopping every week. It's their special time together and, between the two of them, they buy in bulk and spit stuff. I never know what he'll bring home. My pantry is ridiculous so I asked him to slow down...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
My hubby says the best thing I make for dinner is reservations. Or Israelite meals - you know - burnt offerings. We eat out 5-6 nites a week but make healthier choices. I will say that I do make a killer Thanksgiving Dinner w/all the trimmings. Glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the cooking gene.
hahaha! I love holiday cooking or for company but everyday cooking...blah... Since retirement, I encourage hubbie to go meet his buddies for lunch or breakfast, which he does. This has helped.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I'm on the fence. I hate cooking. But, thankfully, I only have to fix one meal a day. I don't do breakfast or lunch. But, I also pretty much hate to eat out. I feel that that quality of the food out has gone down hill. We only eat out maybe 1 x a month an for the most point it's a splurge at a nice restaurant. I am a decent cook.

DH is just set in his ways. Won't eat left overs, won't eat one dish meals, doesn't eat soups or stews, vegetables seriously, if it's not broccoli or creamed corn *yuck* then he's not eating it. (I like the broccoli, not the corn.). I am so bored making the same old stuff over and over. It gets to the point that I just don't eat much anymore. I also have to be very careful of what I eat and what time, as I suffer from acid reflux. Where as, he likes to eat at 8:00 at night.

And, clean up, that's all on me too. There has never been a fair division of that in our house. And, no matter the time, I will clean it up. I hate to see or smell a dirty kitchen in the morning.

So, wish I could give up cooking altogether. But, just can't for money and taste wise.
oh wow....that has to be challenging with his pallet. My hubbie eats everything except beets. And, he clears the table and loads dishwasher...though...his hands never touch soapy water..HA..which means, hand washing is all on me. And we eat early everyday...by 4pm. That's my rule. I have claimed evenings for ME!