Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what size quilt do you make? >
  • what size quilt do you make?

• what size quilt do you make?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Hubby and I enjoy using our quilts while we're sitting around at night chatting, reading, or watching TV. So I always make lap-sized or twin quilts. I made two bed-sized quilts by accident cuz I had made the blocks too large. They don't get used at all, but I do pull them out to show to visitors who want to see my quilts.
    Old 04-26-2018, 09:20 AM

On my first quilt i didnt get out a tape measure to check my math so it ended up being king sized
    Luckily my nana has a longarm cause i never wouldve gotten around to doing that much quilting with my machine.
    Thats the only quilt ive made so far
    Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM

I make my quilts to fit over my feet and my shoulders. My grandson is 6 foot 4 inches, so I made his extra long. I wanted him to really use it and not just fold it away in a closet.
    Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Because of back pain I make more lap and baby quilts. Now I am working on a queen size for my DD. When I finish that I would like to try to make at least two more that size. I have the pattern and fabric for several lap quilts ready to go soon. I also like to make table toppers and place mats.
    Old 04-26-2018, 03:20 PM

I make any size depending on who is getting it. I do mostly queen size and they are all hand quilted. I did make my sister an over sized King. I made it in the 10 min. block and hand quilted it. It actually turned out well. She loved it but I said never again!
    Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 PM
    Power Poster

I use to make all quilts to fit a double bed. Now I only make them for our double bed. They are closer to a regular queen size. Our mattress and topper are 18" tall, I do keep a dust ruffle on the box springs.

Charity quilts is mainly what I make now less than 45x60".
    Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 PM

I have made baby, lap, twin and a couple of doubles. My favourites are lap and baby though!
    Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 PM

I'm a rank amateur when it comes to making quilts -- I've made two Queen Size Plus, two King Size Plus, and one giant red and white quilt (my avatar--and a spread for my Queen Size bed which drapes all the way to the floor). I've made several baby quilts, usually 45" X 60". I've also made a lot of table toppers, heart-shaped potholders, and hand-stitched folded-star potholders. I don't do a lot of hand-stitched potholders because of hand/arm problems. It surprises me that hand sewing the quilt bindings doesn't (hurray!) cause pain from hand/arm problems!
    Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 AM

I make mostly King at 115" square, a few queen at 100" square, and twin/couch throw at 60"x90". Few patterns make my sizes so I just modify to make it the size I like.
    Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 AM

I donate or gift most of my quilts. I generally make baby quilts approximately 40X40 or large throws up to over sized singles. Occasionally, I will make a double or slightly larger. I like to do my own quilting and any piece larger than a single I find is too hard on me and domestic machine.