Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need trouble shooting for Brother CE5000 Runway model >
  • Need trouble shooting for Brother CE5000 Runway model

• Need trouble shooting for Brother CE5000 Runway model

Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 PM

I had this happen once with my Brother. I had changed my foot and it did the same thing. It turned out that the foot opening did not line up correctly with the needle and as a safety feature it stopped the needle from coming down and hitting the foot metal. If I moved over the needle position to the left, it would then have a clear path to come down and then engage. Is it possible you moved your needle position over too far for your foot opening by accident. Just something else to consider.

Last edited by Schill93; 12-16-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    Old 12-17-2018, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I ordered another Brother CE5000prw Project Runway machine. It is my favorite machine. I saw where they don't make this one anymore so I went on Ebay and found one. Most of them listed were around $200 plus shipping and I found this one for $60 plus shipping brought it to $97 so I jumped on it. I am anxiously waiting hoping it comes tomorrow.
    You got a great deal!

I love my ce5000prw too. I got another machine to do quilting on, but love this lil Brother for garments, also used it for decorative walking foot stitch on a quilt.
    Old 12-17-2018, 03:36 PM

I admit that I haven’t experienced the problem you are having but a google search yielded the following on the Sewing Machines Plus website;

How to Fix Brother Sewing Machine Error Code E6

<dl class="smp4" style="font-size: 16px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 20px; caret-color: rgb(49, 49, 49); color: rgb(49, 49, 49); font-family: Lato, sans-serif; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;"><dt style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 1.42857143; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 1em;">Q: What does E6 error message mean?</dt><dd style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 1.42857143; margin-left: 10px; font-size: medium;">A: The motor locked up because thread is tangled</dd><dt style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 1.42857143; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 1em;">Q: How to fix E6 error message?</dt><dd style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 1.42857143; margin-left: 10px; font-size: medium;">A: Do the following:
    • The upper thread could be tangled. Remove the upper thread and any loose threads. Raise the pressure foot, raise the needle to its highest position and rethread the machine.
    • Remove the bobbin and bobbin case to clean any lint or loose threads. Install the bobbin case so that the projection on it aligns with the spring. Then install the bobbin into the bobbin case.
    • The needle could be bent. Replace the needle making sure the flat side is facing the back

Sounds like you have done most, all of these things but it does confirm you are on the right track.
    </dd></dl>
    Old 12-23-2018, 08:37 PM
    Power Poster

thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.

as you probably saw I just ordered another CE5000prw and it came last Thurs. Not real happy with the seller's service but I have it and it works great!

I wanted the herringbone stitch not sure what the manufacturer calls it but that is what the hand embroidery version is called. I used it to close around the raw edge on my Christmas ornaments. No other stitch works as well.

And of course the only machine I have that had that stitch is my Project Runway Brother. hence the reason I bought a new one. They don't make them anymore so you can't buy them from a store any more.

i'm happy and I'm sure the seller was happy I bought this machine. LOL

I am going to take my first one apart and see if I can find anything.

I have done everything to it possible except take all the screws out. so that will be the next step. I can't see how thread would get up in there but then I am no technician.

This is what I am working on. This is a mini dresden kaleidoscope. It is about 4" in width. I used the herringbone stitch and just let it go over the edge. It finishes it off nicely. This is why I wanted another CE5000prw I have 12 of them ready to stitch and I am adding a hanger to these 12 so they could be hung on a tree. This one I made last year. LOL don't look too close it could use a trim of all the little fuzzies on the edge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605730[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 000000000000000.jpg  
    Old 12-24-2018, 09:13 AM

I had a brother that kept doing this. It was still under warranty so swapped it for another one - which also did the same after a few months of use. The repair centre took it apart and said the machine was seizing because parts were not accurately aligned. He fixed it but it lasted a few months (and the whole time I could tell it didn’t sound right). So I got a refund. Will never buy brother again.

Im sorry to say that now you have had this fault I think it may be recurring...

I now have a Janome and love it.
    Old 12-24-2018, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Brother 420 and it has this stitch. The stitches aren't named just shows a picture of it on the little computer screen. Brother 420 and other low range Brothers are made for mass market not for dealers. Most Brother dealers won't sell them. The Brothers sold at dealers are made to different standards. Mass market machines are usually good but sometimes due to the luck of the draw someone will get an off one.
    Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 AM

Default Just had the same thing happen

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I watched a video on youtube a little bit ago. she showed how to take the screws out and how to remove the cover on the left end above the needle. I tried to remove that screw but I need to go find a screwdriver with a smaller head on it. The one I tried using the end is too big to fit the screw head. so I will try again soon! If not I'll have my husband take it apart for me. LOL He used to be a mechanic and he is better at those kind of things than I am. Now I'm determined to find out why it locked up LOL
    Did you ever figure out why the handwheel and related internal shafts stopped turning? I was sewing yesterday and suddenly the machine made a strained noise and turning parts stopped turning. Took everything apart but can't see any caught threads, pins etc and both belts on handwheel shaft look good. Puzzled. Looking at buying a new machine or repairable?
    Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM
    Power Poster

Old thread but very interesting. I'd love to know if a solution was found.