Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine? >

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM

I would be sceptic getting it outside the us
Old 03-02-2020, 02:40 AM

Estate sale
Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I would be sceptic getting it outside the us
I would also not purchase from outside the US for a variety of reasons. Financial risk is a big one.

To the OP, be aware that most sewing machine warranties do not transfer to new owners at all, even within a country. So do not expect to even be able to ship the machine back overseas for warranty work (plus the cost of shipping is likely prohibitive).

If you are looking for a newer machine and a high dollar one, your safest bet is a reputable local dealer who has taken one in on trade.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:55 AM

I bought my used Janome 6600MC at my local quilt shop and have been sewing on it for 10 years. My featherweight I bought from a friend in our little sewing group. She had two and wanted to buy a Juki so she didn't think she even needed two FW.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:09 AM

I found a great deal on craigslist. I bought a $1200 (5 yrs ago) Brother Laura Ashley nx-800 for $125. I use it as my travel machine.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM

My husband bought a reconditioned Brother SE270D from Overstock. I've had it about 10 years and it was my "daily driver" for about 7.
I bought a Janome 1600DB and a Brother Nouvelle 1500 both from friends who were upgrading. Love my Brother 1500.
Had a non-sewing friend who inherited a treadle Singer from his mom, he was just going to throw it away or donate it because he didn't see why anyone would want a treadle. I literally yanked it out of his hands. Took it home and sold it for him on CL for $200. Met the buyer at a Starbucks and let her check it out and sew on it.
A lot of times you can let your local quilt shop and guild know you're in the market, you'd be surprised at how many people are thinking about selling their machines.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:33 PM

I bought a used Pfaff 7550 machine from my Pfaff dealer. She took it in on trade and it was less than 6 months old. I bought that machine in 1996 and it is still going strong. She gave me a good deal on it and I still enjoy using it. I am even teaching my 7 year old granddaughter to sew on it.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:45 AM

Purchased my Pfaff from a dealer. It was a trade in and only used for two weeks. No problems with the machine in any way. My only concern was the "hour of personal instruction" included in the purchase was done by an individual who did not know the machine. She had to follow the instructions in the owner's manual. That was not a machine problem but an issue with the shop who sold it. That hour of instruction was important to me, but so be it. I can read the manual and figure out most of what I need to know. YouTube is my Pfaff friend.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:20 AM

LadyAg I am wishing on a star that I will be able to purchase a Bernina 770qe. I am curious how your experience turned out and what purchasing option you went with? Its just not an option for me to purchase brand new...
Old 12-20-2021, 09:00 AM

I bought a very lightly used Bernina 770qe (without the embroidery unit) from an individual for $3,050 off of EBay. I contacted the Seller before the auction ended to get their agreement, if I won the auction, to allow me time to have the machine inspected at my local Bernina dealer, and that they would pay for any needed repairs.

No repairs were needed and it has been great! I had no hope of ever affording a new machine (senior living on Social Security), so I took a chance, knowing EBay would have a record of our purchase agreement. I sold my other two sewing machines to help fund the purchase, too.

Good luck on your search!