Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

The Hawaiian prints could be cut into shirt applique pieces, and sew them onto fabric squares, Maybe use them in the border? You can also applique the tshirt and sweatshirt fabric onto squares... Are you wanting to use the sayings on them or just the fabrics? If it is the fabrics, you could cut them into the shapes of tshirts and sweatshirts too.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Sorry about your loss. When my father passed he didn't have a lot of clothes, he seemed to wear the clothes until they wore out. I did find two of his work uniforms. I didn't have enough to make a quite so I made pillows for my 3 sisters and myself. Now when I get blue I just snuggle up with his pillow.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Oh, crying is bad. no crying. take deep breaths and have some cold water!!
I was just looking through some of my sewing things (trying to clean!!) and I found a pattern called "libearty sitter". I think the maker was grandmas attic. Anyway, I used to make my daughter bears from this pattern and the good thing about it is that you make fur feet, fur hands and a fur head, but the body is made out of fabric, which can easily be a flannel shirt or even an hawaiian shirt. You can't change the bear's clothes, because the clothing is also the body, but the bear is filled with fiberfill or cotton and it will sit very cutely wherever you put it. (which is why it is the libearty sitter). If you are interested in having the pattern, I would be happy to send you mine. I think it would be perfect for your needs if you would like to do a bear. I'm not sure if the pattern is currently in production...it may easily be discontinued, as my baby girl is now 24!! (I never get rid of patterns) If you would like it, please email me at [email protected] and give me your address.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by NovisQuilter
Sorry about your loss. When my father passed he didn't have a lot of clothes, he seemed to wear the clothes until they wore out. I did find two of his work uniforms. I didn't have enough to make a quite so I made pillows for my 3 sisters and myself. Now when I get blue I just snuggle up with his pillow.
That is really sweet. OK - pillows it will be! I'll do one for myself, my sister and my brother --- I hope to have enough fabric to make something for the grandkids.
My sister may have a couple of dad's shirt's, too. I'll have to ask her.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Don't rush yourself. Take a look at what you have, as far as material, and sit down some evening and look through some books or on line at some patterns. When you're able to visualize the quilt with his material, then you'll be ready and you'll want to get going on it and you won't stop till its done. If there's enough it sounds like a lap quilt size would be ideal. Everynight cuddles. :thumbup:
Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. My Mother passed away in 1997 and I have many of her hankies. I am in the process of making a small quilted wall hanging with them.

Could someone help me find a quilted pattern for a Kindle cover? I sure would appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Rymer,

I got so wrapped up in thinking about my dad that I forgot to express my sympathy for your loss, please forgive me. Your question has touched the hearts of many here on the forum. It is wonderful to learn what other members have made from their loved ones clothing. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Let me know how they turn out.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM

My DH Aunt made a memory quilt for all the grandkids when their Grandma passed away. It is was very simple, 5 inch squares out of the clothes. She embellished it with some pictures and some of her lace doilys and buttons. Very simple, but a nice memento.

My thoughts are with you!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
My father passed away 10 years ago and a few of his flannel shirts are hanging in my closet. I wear one of them when I am painting a room or doing home improvement projects around the house....my dad was an excellent handyman and taught me a lot .... I wear his shirt for support and inspiration that I can do anything he could do.

After reading these posts I've decided to take his other shirts and make pillows out of them. It would be just like laying my head on his shoulder.... ok - now I'm going to cry.
me too.. :cry: I cry when I remember my mum who sadly passed away a bit over a year ago but I cry for a minute and then start to remember the fun things and then i feel better again..as they say time heals..