Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple newbie questions about applique >

A couple newbie questions about applique

A couple newbie questions about applique

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaverg
Originally Posted by penny doty
I did the turn fusable applaque today and it turned out to be really easy. I did satin stich around it.
I am not sure I understand this method. I have done fusible and the machine appliqued, didn't care for machine applique. Can you explain turn fusible?
you get fusible inter facing and fabric, sew right sides together, cut a slit in back, turn right sides out, use iron to fuse to main fabric and then stich around your applique, the fusible inter face is one side fusible so make sure when sewing that you have the fusible part facing the right side of your fabric, so when you turn the fabric right side out, the fusible inter face will also be on the out side. you end up with a nice edge for your applique, I did this with small leaves, so you can use this method with any size appilque. hope this helped. Penny p.s. your appiluqe comes out soft, not stiff.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks Penny, I was worried about the fabric whether you would lose the softness. I am definitely going to try it.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaverg
Thanks Penny, I was worried about the fabric whether you would lose the softness. I am definitely going to try it.
your very welcome, this was my first time doing it, but remember it is interfacing not fussiable web.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM

you get fusible inter facing and fabric, sew right sides together, cut a slit in back, turn right sides out, use iron to fuse to main fabric and then stich around your applique, the fusible inter face is one side fusible so make sure when sewing that you have the fusible part facing the right side of your fabric, so when you turn the fabric right side out, the fusible inter face will also be on the out side. you end up with a nice edge for your applique, I did this with small leaves, so you can use this method with any size appilque. hope this helped. Penny p.s. your appiluqe comes out soft, not stiff.
Thanks for sharing your info Penny! This is the method I really want to use, and I think I will try it with most all the pieces in this quilt. I'll use the freezer paper for any pieces that are too detailed for turning right side out.

One question about how you did yours, once you turned the piece right side out, did you cut out most the back of the fusible interfacing, or leave it all intact? I've seen one tutorial online where the lady cut out all but a little frame of the interfacing. She said it got rid of a lot of the rigid feeling from the interfacing.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Thanks for sharing your info Penny! This is the method I really want to use, and I think I will try it with most all the pieces in this quilt. I'll use the freezer paper for any pieces that are too detailed for turning right side out.

One question about how you did yours, once you turned the piece right side out, did you cut out most the back of the fusible interfacing, or leave it all intact? I've seen one tutorial online where the lady cut out all but a little frame of the interfacing. She said it got rid of a lot of the rigid feeling from the interfacing.
I left mine in, but you can also cute it out. my interfacing was so thin that it made very little deffrens in the process. sorry cant spell. Penny